Gay Syrian Car Salesman

So i just bought a car. A new Hyundai Elantra, I think I got a good deal. I paid 20,000 riyals in cash and put the rest on my credit card. I take delivery on Tuesday. Good for me.

The salesman was that most feared of stock characters, the Gay Syrian car salesman. When we met, we hugged just a bit too long. He made a number of near passes while we did business. He mentioned he liked “older men.” (Wonderful, thank you very much.)

I did nothing to encourage him, really.

So now I am home and he just sent me an SMS mentioning he loved me and would like to meet someplace.

Anyone out there have experience with Gay Syrian car salesmen? I am somewhere between amused and annoyed.

I thought I ought to share.

Tell him you’re Jewish, and would he like to meet you for a night on the town in Tel Aviv…? :smiley:

Holy used camel, batman …

Being gay has got to be interesting in a chinese proverbial manner there…

Um, is he cute? Any attraction there at all>:p

Might be a way to get an upgrade on your car…

Sorry, fresh out of Gay Syrian Car Salesmen in Virginia and North Carolina.

However, about 5 years ago, I had a gastric bypass. As the weight fell off, I was hit on buy guys about 3 times the rate of the women, and I wasn’t advertising for either gender.

Strangest. Haggle. Ever.

You are not adjusting to life in the Mysterious East.

So, uh, how do you like the car? What kind of engines do they have over there? The 2.0L 4-cylinder they do here, or something smaller, or diesel?

You could just text him back saying if he contacts you again you’ll turn him in to the police and have him flogged for being a sodomite. It’d be a pretty mean thing to do but I guess that’s what the authorities would want you to do if they knew.

I am an American. I am not here to take part in local barbarities, I am here to change the local society.

As for the car, I pick it up on Tuesday. They are getting the tags and insurance and all that stuff. It has the small gas engine, manual transmission and cloth interior.

That is worth mention, you can pick your color and engine, but once you select transmission that is more or less that. “Full option” cars have automatics, leather, sunroof power seats and all that. “Low option” has the manual, cloth interior and no sunroof (and no remote, I am sorry to say). Here we have a limited selection.

I am an American. I am not here to take part in local barbarities, I am here to change the local society.

As for the car, I pick it up on Tuesday. They are getting the tags and insurance and all that stuff. It has the small gas engine, manual transmission and cloth interior.

That is worth mention, you can pick your color and engine, but once you select transmission that is more or less that. “Full option” cars have automatics, leather, sunroof power seats and all that. “Low option” has the manual, cloth interior and no sunroof (and no remote, I am sorry to say). Here we have a limited selection.

I didn’t know Gay Syrian Car Salesmen were a thing. Does this stock character pop up a lot in Saudi Arabian entertainment? Are they gay because they’re Syrian or gay because they’re car salesmen? What sort of situation is likely to feature a Gay Syrian Car Salesman? Do they have sitcoms in Saudi Arabia? Is it a movie thing? What sort of channels do you get on Saudi TV?

You’re the one who said you were annoyed by it.

Not that I know of. I was just funning.

I get about 100 channels. Maybe fifty of them are in Arabic, a half-dozen in English, a nice selection of Filipino shows and stuff from the subcontinent. All in all, this is not a good place for the television-addicted.

You know, from what I understand, in that neck of the woods they will often cut off the part of a human that broke a law.

If I were you two, I’d keep it on the down low (and IT away from the chopping block).

And a remote for a sunroof?! Whats next, a remote for the remote?

Maybe he just wants to show you how your stick shift works.
Sometimes, when they are stiff, they stick a bit and need a steady hand.

Mabruuk! for getting a new car.

A serious question for you, Paul:

How tolerated is homosexuality in the Kingdom, as a simple personal sexual orientation? Does al-Hukuuma s-sa`uudiyya actively arrest, prosecute, and/or punish people just on the basis they happen to be gay? Or do penalties for sodomy only apply to homosexual behaviours?

I ask this question because it seems really strange to me that someone would be making homosexual overtures in public, in Saudi Arabia. Never actually been to “al-mamlaka”, though, so I wouldn’t know.

wa na’am, ana darastu l-lugha l-arabiyya munthu sanatayn fil-juma. wa laakiny atkallimuhaa qaliilan faqaT, fil-Haqiiqa.

Yeah, I studied two years of Arabic at university. But I only speak a little. (Hence my awkward inclusion of Arabic smatterings, here.) :o

He may have been pretending to be gay because he thought you WERE gay (and older, heh) and this would increase the chance of a sale or future sales. Car salesmen are a desperate lot you know (not that there is anything wrong with that).

You may just need to turn that manly man knob of yours up to 11.

Be warned though, doing so in public may get you hit on in ways you never expected. Good luck with the new wheels.

I think Paul’s in Qatar right now. That might not be a lot better, but I don’t think it’s quite so bad.

Even reading through it very fast, my comprehension of that paragraph was that the remote would have been for the car (door locks, etc.), not the sunroof, and that neither was available given the model level.