Gazpacho - Thicken with bread or not?

It’s summertime, and the beautiful tomatoes are starting to show up here in Jersey. I would love to make gazpacho, so I looked for some recipes online and was surprised to see that they didn’t call for adding chunks of stale bread as a thickener.

Am I remembering something wrong? Do you add bread? This is such a wonderful refreshing vegatarian meal so I thought I’d throw this out to the foodies out there.

I always thought the point of gazpacho was to have a light, chilled liquidy but flavorful broth, laden with veggies to give it body. To me, a thicker broth would not say gazpacho. YMMV.

Never heard of adding bread. I think that would make it too heavy.

I followed a recipe last year that involved stale bread, crust removed. You chopped up the bread, soaked it in water, then squeezed out excess water. The bread was added and stick-blendered. The texture was very nice.

Thank you all. As you pointed out, the appeal of this dish is the texture, as well as the taste. I think I’m just going to make it up, add some bread, try it and tweak along the way. I am totally stoked for a meal where I don’t have to heat up the stove.

America’s Test Kitchen just did gazpacho - they suggest salting the chopped vegetables for some time before putting in the blender and sopping up the juices from the veggies with a piece of bread. Every time I’ve made it, I also use a piece of bread.

I have used bread as a gazpacho spoon, but never added it to the actual recipe.