Genital mutilation of young girls. But it's a religious thing!

Well, if we are quoting studies-[url=]here is a metaanalysis of 40,000 men.

It’s rather interesting to observe that on a forum dedicated to “figthing ignorance”, the defenders of male circumcision use the same arguments that are used by female victim of FGM to defend the practice, apparently without realizing it.

It’s also interesting to note that according to the same people, surgical removal of the male prepuce during infancy is quite alright, while surgical removal of the female prepuce during infancy is something that should be condemned. On a board dedicated to fighting ignorance.

FGM type 1a is defined by the WHO as surgical removal of the clitoral hood. Which, as I’ve mentioned before, is - anatomically speaking - exactly the same as the practice known as male circumcision. There is, of course, no comparison of FGM type 1b (surgical removal of the glans clitoris), or type 2 (removal of the labia minora), or type 3 (infibulation) to so-called male circumcision, but if you’re offended by type 1a and accept the same procedure on male infants, you’re fooling yourself.

It’s the same fucking thing. You’re cutting the healthy genitals of children who aren’t able to give informed consent. And you’re defending your practice by the same arguments that defenders of FGM are using to defend their practice.

That this isn’t the thread for it?

Some people have said that male circumcision is quite alright, and I’m not so sure it is, but you know what? Even if it’s just as fucking bad, it doesn’t matter because it’s irrelevant to this thread.

Let me give you an imaginary example to illustrate how douchey this hijack is.

Thread Title: 26yo Man is Raped at Gunpoint

Collective Response: This is awful. Let’s discuss the unique social and cultural factors that influence the likelihood of men getting raped and how pervasive it may be in this country, even if it’s rarely talked about. Let’s be outraged about this!

Douchebag Response: OMG YOU GUYS RAPE HAPPENS TO WOMEN ALL THE TIME!!! WE CAN’T TALK ABOUT MALE RAPE WITHOUT ACKNOWLEDGING THAT FEMALE RAPE IS AWFUL! HERE ARE A BUNCH OF BADLY SOURCED LINKS ABOUT HOW COMMON THE RAPE OF WOMEN IS.

Men do this to threads about women’s issues all the fucking time. Alllll the fucking time. ALL. THE. FUCKING. TIME.

Just. Stop.

Got it. You want to get very offended by a practice performed on girls, but you refuse to get offended by the same practice if it’s preformed on boys.

Double standards.

You want to get offended, but not enough to start a appropriate thread and need to hijack one to attention whore for your pet issue.

I’m not offended. I just point out your double standards. You hypocrite.

God I must be an idiot for dipping my toe into this…

Did someone defend female genital mutilation by providing peer reviewed citations for the health benefits of it?

I stand by what Louis CK famously discussed… Circumcised, uncircumcised, whatever you want. Don’t care.

No-different fucking topic, jackass. If you are still unclear as to what the topic of this thread is, I refer you to both the title and the OP.
Idiot.

I’m not. But if you can’t see that the arguments used to defend male genital mutilation are exactly the same that are being used to defend female genital mutilation, you’re the idiot.

Hint: They’re the same. And if you defend the one, don’t be so fucking offended that someone defends the other.

Go defend it in another thread.

You seem to be functionally illiterate. I’m not defending anything discussed in this thread.

I’m just mentioning that, since it seems as if you’re unable to understand it.

Here you fucking go. I made folks wishing fervently to discuss this topic their very own thread.

When males are sliced and mutilated to make sure that they get no pleasure from sex then they will be the same topic.
I am strongly rethinking my position about whether female-only threads should be allowed.

Preach!

The extra level of desperation in your psyche (you give off a strong vibe of “LA LA LA I CAN’T HEAR YOU” as you desperately clap your hands over your ears) is duly noted. Those of us from Europe, Canada, Australia, Latin America, East Asia, or who are among the increasingly large cohort of younger Americans who didn’t have part of our penises chopped off in infancy, will continue to feel pity for you and your mutilated genitals (and fragile ego) regardless.

Let’s talk about that here.

“Hey, strangers – you’re mutilated and should be pitied! Aren’t I a great guy for telling you that you’re mutilated and I pity you despite knowing zilch about your lives?”

The updated link in the OP concludes with this:

I can see maybe a case for “underreporting”, but I wonder what the “other problems” are.

I’m trying to figure how we could increase the likelihood of reporting. It’s so difficult because children probably have no clue what’s happening, or that it’s illegal and wrong. By the time they get their first pelvic exam, if they ever do, the statute of limitations is likely far run out.

I confess I’ve mostly assumed this is a practice in Muslim communities, but I don’t actually know.