Genres you wish made a comeback

I would love to see the comeback of whodunnits of the Columbo, Ellery Queen type - where there is NO MENTION of the main characters’ love lives, angst-ridden pasts (“child of rape”:rolleyes:), deaths of relatives etc. Even the X-Files spared us these shenanigans at the beginning, then went quickly downhill, imo, as it became more “character driven”, as they say. Just give us the story and some quirky characters, that’s all I ask for.

A quick scan didn’t show this, but I am a fan of good old fashioned radio and especially radio plays, and although the genre isn’t quite dead, its certainaly circling the drain. CBC (canada) and NPR do have their offerings here, but they just don’t have that “feel” that the old time shows did.

sigh

Adventure/RPG hybrid games like “Quest for Glory”

Space simulators, like Freelancer

True Survival Horror games, with strictly limited inventories, convoluted environments, scarce weaponry and scarcer ammunition and healing items, and relatively few enemies but plentiful “jump” moments and a great deal of atmospheric tension.

I think this genre is as dead as the diplodocus - Resident Evil franchise is turning into a straight-up action shooter - but I maintain the hope that some clever independent programmer will create a Survival Horror adventure. maybe just a PC mod or something, one of these days, along the lines of the original Resident Evil.

Here you go.

I always think of it as jazz-based (or infused) rock music. The musicians in those groups clearly have jazz backgrounds.

Yeah, I would love to hear more jazz-based music. I don’t know why, for example, Time Warner can’t play something enjoyable on their program guide (which I have on for background noise sometimes during the day). Instead, it’s all ‘syrupy strings to push your shopping cart in the supermarket by’.

Some of the best times of my life were spent in front of the tube with friends watching the old fashioned Creature Feature, complete with ‘creepy host’. Commander USA. Or Elvira :D. They don’t have that any more. Garish explosions of CGI on the Syfy channel don’t count, they’re just like televised videogames. And there’s no host, snarking off in bits before the commercials.

Something along the lines of Playboy Music Videos … naked, or almost naked, women dancing beautifully to good music, well photographed. Wouldn’t even have to be popular hits … that would be VERY nice, but I suspect the expenses associated with licensing the music makes that prohibitive, given that you can’t even buy the old Playboy Music Videos from Playboy any more.