Geocaching. Have you guys heard of this?

Check it out!

This sounds so cool! Has anyone done this?

I think I need to go out and get myself a handheld GPS tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Doesn’t that sound great? I’ve seen something about that on tv. If I got out an moved and stuff that would be cool!

Another GPS hobby that I find fascinating is the Degree Confluence Project. Its aim is to locate and occupy all full-degree Lat/Long intersections.

I really need just one more reason to buy myself that particular toy.

Oh yeah!

I asked about this in a thread in GQ a while back. I checked out the website and found that there are quite a few hunts around my area. I have GOT to get me one of these things! It sounds like a lot of fun.

I am such a nerd.

Yeah, both those kickass. I second Whammo in that I’d like to do that if I could afford a GPS unit, and if I actually did stuff. If I like jogged or went to the gym or something, I bet I’d get into stuff like that. As it stands, I just sit in my computer chair and say “man, that’s neat what they’re doing.”

–Tim

I’ve gone several times now both successfully and unsuccessfully. Either way is fun. It’s a great way to learn about places that are near you that you would never otherwise known about.

I’m so out of shape it’s pathetic Homer. If I can get my 300+ lb. self out there surely you can do it.

I’ve done it a few times (Finagle will never, ever post to the Luddite thread). On the face of it, it sounds like kind of a dumb game. After all, if you have a GPS, then there’s no skill involved – you just go to where it tells you. But there are a few features of the game that make it fun. The first is that all the GPS does is tell you where the cache is – it doesn’t tell you how to get there. So it’s possible to spend an hour slogging through trackless swamp to get to a cache, only to find that there’s a perfectly good path leading right up to it. The second thing to keep in mind is that even with selective availability off, a GPS is accurate only to 30 or 40 feet. So it might take you half an hour to actually get within spitting distance of the cache and another hour to actually find it. (Here’s a dearly paid for tip: Print out the web page from the geocache page and bring it with you so that you can decipher the clue if need be. It really sucks to have spent an hour hunting through briars and brambles only to walk away empty handed.)

Finally, people have a tendency to hide the caches in places that are pretty scenic. So geocaching is a great excuse to get outside and go for a hike.

Once again you all amaze me with a cool find. Thank you for helping to fuel another possible fixation for me.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=108022

I just started a thread about this, wondering if anyone else here is interested in starting our own hunt. I’ve found two treasures here in New Mexico.
Jill

I’d like a cache with Geobabe in it. :slight_smile:

But she’s already spoken for, and I don’t think my wife would be keen on the idea anyway. :wink:

Just thought I’d mention that you don’t need to put out the money for the GPS unit (although it sounds like it would be fun, if only I could afford the $100 or so that one costs).

At least in urban and suburban areas (and there are plenty of those in my area {Cleveland}) you can find them with maps, or online mapping services, and the clues. I usually try to get it without the clues first.

So far I have found 3 in my area, and enjoyed it quite a bit.

We’re planning on hitting another couple of caches this weekend, and I’ll be planting one soon.

http://www.legomancer.net/geocaching

I just got my GPS unit last week and I hope to get out to my first cache this weekend (assuming my toe stops oozing). The GPS is already at the top of my ‘geek toy’ list.