Gerhard Richter

Gerhard Richter is my favourite painter, my favourite living painter that is. The first painting of him I saw converted me into a fan of his. It was a painting of a copy of a copy of a squadron of Mustang bombers. They are small in size but malevolent, bent on doing evil.

In the Mood : The New Yorker

The other day, browsing The New York Times, I came upon a movie review of a recent documentary about him:
?Gerhard Richter Painting,? a Documentary - NYTimes.com

Clip: Gerhard Richter Painting - Video Library - The New York Times

As Herr Richter puts it so well:
“To talk about paintings is not only difficult but perhaps pointless too. You can only express in words what words are capable of expressing, What language can communicate painting has nothing to do with that…”
“Painting isn’t just a question of aesthetics, of painting pretty pictures , which perhaps isn’t very difficult”.

He is an extraordinary painter and also a profound thinker.

I haven’t seen the documentary, only the trailer. His huge abstractions are beautiful and his German is clearly spoken, his words precise, wise.
He is still having fun at 80. One of his students, who became a famous photographer said that he was opaque, not communicative. Perhaps because as he said, words are unable to communicate what painting is all about,

Someone gave me a book about him on some series of portraits he made. For some reason I threw it in the papers bin. This didn’t happen today or yesterday but a long, long time ago, but seems like yesterday.

His Panorama exhibition has moved to the Pompidou Centre in Paris, where one can see a favourite of mine Mustang Staffel (Mustang Squadron)
Also in Paris there is an exhibition of his work at the Louvre.

Gerhard Richter » Exhibitions » Gerhard Richter: Panorama

Welcome to the SDMB, Syme. You put this post in a thread on a different topic; since I think it deserves its own thread, I split it off.

Again, welcome – enjoy your time here.

twickster, Cafe Society moderator

Thankya, Syme. He’s been one of my favorites since I first saw his paintings on the Daydream Nation album cover. I will need to see that documentary now that I’m aware of it. It’s being shown here in July. There’s a few Richters in the local collections here, but none of the shows he’s in are booked for DFW at the moment, and one of the shows he’s in leaves Chicago the week before I arrive. I’m jealous!

(what painting thread was this posted in originally?)

I was fortunate a while back receive an invitation to a curator-led tour of the Richer exhibit at the Tate in London. I got so much more out of the exhibit with the curator explaining each panting and what it’s history was than I ever would have reading the little cards on the wall. Very interesting artist.

Thanks for the heads-up on the documentary. I love Richter’s work, especially his more energetic expressionistic work like Ice, (he’s got so much range as a painter, and I don’t like all his styles. His soft-focus photorealistic type work, for example, leaves me cold) but I don’t know much at all about his biography. Will have to keep an eye out for it.

These are the links, I checked them today:

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2012/03/07/movies/100000001412673/clip-gerhard-richter-painting.html?scp=1&sq=Gerhard%20Richter&st=cse

To access the archives of The New Yorker you must be a subscriber to the magazine. When the article came up it had the painting of the Mustang (strafing Dresden ?) but not anymore in the archives

Locked for cross-posting.