Germany Travel Question: Flower Seeds As Gift?

Rick Steves on his websites recommends seeds for German gardeners as a light weight gift, but aren’t these considered “agricultural products”? Will they clear customs?

Thanks

Q

According to the customs site (in German) you need a health/purity certificate for the seeds. Sounds like too much hassle.
Why would you want to bring flower seeds to Germany, anyway? You can probably buy most of them there.

Thanks. I had thought maybe some seeds for flowers that don’t normally grow over there. Not much of a gardener, I’m afraid. For example, I wanted to plant some Edelweiss in my front yard. No go. They didn’t even raise their cute little heads for me to nurture.

Thanks for the information. I’m surprised too that Steves recommends this.

Q

I lived in Germany with a host family for a year in the mid-70’s. I had a chance to visit my host parents and their grown children in 2000. The gifts I brought that were most appreciated were:

Any Native American handcrafted item. I brought authentic Navaho pottery. Minnesota Wild Rice was also well received once I explained its Indian heritage.

Good California red wine.

Books in english that we’d give our 7 and 8 year olds for their 7 and 8 year old children/grandchildren.

A football (American)

Reeses Peanut Butter Cups.

Alles Gut!