Getting dentures, need advice

So I cashed in a bit of my superannuation (401k for you Yanks) and am wanting to get dentures.

Little bit of backstory, I’ve always had YELLOW teeth since childhood, perhaps an over-supply of antibiotics, or perhaps genetically predisposed, whatever. And despite getting braces as a teenager (I’m 63 now) my teeth have, over the years, deteriorated further. Around 6 years ago I had all of my back teeth removed due to crumbling and gum infection. Since then, and especially the last couple of years, my other teeth have moved, and it is hard to eat.

So, I’m opting to go to SE Asia to get the remaining teeth extracted, and full dentures made. But I’m curious about the process.

Like, how long will I need for the gums to heal after the tooth extractions before getting dentures fitted? Is it worth getting ‘immediate’ dentures? Looking online, it seems like the average time for permanent dentures is 6-8 weeks, but I can’t stay in SE Asia quite that long. Assuming all goes well, do you think it would be ok to return home AFTER the extractions and go back in a couple of months or so to get the permanent dentures?

Please, any denture wearers, gimme the lowdown.

My Daddy went to Mexico (from the US) for his dentures. He had his extractions done at his own dentist.
They recommended him wait at least 3 mos.
As he was a dapper man he wasn’t willing to do that.
He waited almost 6 weeks. Came home with a tan and pretty teeth. They never really fit well.
When his Military insurance started covering dental and paid part of the cost of new dentures he got new ones. He said it was a big big difference.

He was preparing for implants when he died, unexpectedly.

I would imagine you’ll need to wait and go back or get the extractions at home. Aren’t plain extractions kinda cheap as far as dental work goes?

ETA … I’ve never heard anything but horror stories about jerk 'em out, slap new ones in, kinda dentures.

Thanks Beck, I’m happy to wait (thank goodness wearing a mask is kosher nowadays!!) but good to hear some anecdotal news.

Unfortunately dental treatment here in Aus is bloody expensive. Getting extractions for my current teeth will likely cost me double or more what it would for getting them done in SE Asia. PLUS, I get a bit of a holiday to boot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ahh. Good luck on your travels. Hope it goes well.

I assume you are not talking about implants (which would be a preferred solution to dentures)

Before making that move, have you talked to a dentist about your options? Those teeth or a few of them may be able to stabilize the denture and greatly increase its stability.

But just filling from personal experience, in that after the extraction, if a bone graft is used the initial ‘sucky’ recovery time is about a week with the first 2 days being the most sucky. but easily managed with pain meds. I had 2 types taken alternately. So as one was wearing off the other could kick in. I was travel ready on day 3 and went skiing. However if a dry socket forms all bets are off, as I understand it, it’s terribly painful, long lasting, but there are things that can be done at the dentist to mitigate it. So that’s the wild card, and chances do go up without a bone graft.

Good luck.

I had dentures ready to insert immediately after the extractions. This was critical for the upper teeth that are rooted in sinuses to prevent bleeding out. Perhaps that’s not an issue with you anymore.

No matter what you do, your gums will change over time. I wouldn’t want to be the dentist making the first set of dentures for someone. There’s a limit to how well they can fit initially and it often gets worse. I’ve heard plenty of people complain about their dentist and then after a year go see another dentist who makes them a new set of dentures that fit much better. Of course he does, he’s working with the end result, not just guessing what your mouth will be like after it heals. Dentures can be relined, you may have to do that every year or so anyway if your mouth changes a lot. I’d plan on a reline several months in. Give your mouth plenty of time to heal and work with your dentist.

Also, get implants if you can. A full upper or lower denture can snap into a couple of implants and hold securely.

Unfortunately implants (even if my general gum condition was ok) are out of my reach financially. So it’s dentures or nada. :slight_smile:

To be honest, I haven’t needed dentures since I had all of my top teeth removed in 2013. There are very few foods you can’t still chew with only bottom teeth.