getting in and out of NYC for free

:smack:

rather, you can cross the Hudson River into New Jersey (going westbound of course) before reaching Albany by taking one of those bridges which are close to the Taconic.

I suppose you’re supposed to buy gas too? What about general upkeep and maintenance? Shouldn’t you offer to spring for a lub and oil change?

To get from Jersey to NYC to free, you have to go through Albany, and use the Dunn Memorial Bridge. All other Hudson River Bridges are tolls, and all charge when going east.

Dunns Mem bridge is the 1st free one but rt 90 is easier to use (interstate)to go to/from Staten Island (via car) you must pay tolls (at least one way)

When trying to remember when you pay tolls, remember this:

“No one would pay to get into New Jersey–but they’ll pay to get out.”

You have to pay to cross the Hudson from the mainland (NJ, Orange County, etc.) to the east (Manhattan, West Chester, Staten Island), but not the other way (GWB free to NJ, Lincoln Tunnel free to NJ, Holland Tunnel free to NJ, Goethals Br. free to NJ, Outerbridge Cr. free to NJ).

Likewise, Delaware River crossings NJ->PA cost you, but PA->NJ are free.

I have to say, this thread gives me a new appreciation for driving in Los Angeles.

Everyone who’s posted about driving to/from NJ has neglected to include another option: the Bayonne Bridge. (It’s a toll bridge just like the rest. It’s just that no one mentioned it, so I figured I’d add it to the list for the sake of completeness. Hey, it’s my job here, right?)

Check out this link and see if you change your mind . . .

http://www.nycroads.com/roads/trans-manhattan/

And by the way, I think I’ve figured out a way to drive from New Jersey into New York City without paying a toll and without using a bridge or tunnel.

Start on one side of Ellis Island!!

Makes me want to just run out and drive on it - then I realise it’s just (to me) the cross bronx expressway. Great site though.

Also it will always be the Interboro.

Take advantage of the “free” (meaning free to the individual user, but not to taxpayers) bridges while you can. It’s quite likely that they’ll get tolls b/c of NYC’s fiscal crisis.

(The only reason they didn’t before is that the toll plazas would’ve been more trouble than they’re worth. Thanks to EZ Pass, that’s not such a big deal anymore.)

Possibly not. Reason one is that there is no demarcation line through Ellis - it is jointly owned. Reason 2 - not owned by NYC, just NYS.

I don’t know if these hold up as I just got it looking a a map so I could be way off.

Disagree. IIRC, the “filled” part of the island is 'Jersey; the rest is NY.

Possibly, you’d need to check whatever statute or statutes define the City of New York. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

I can state with certainty that as of 1938 Liberty Island (nee Bedloe’s Island) was part of New York City (Manhattan Borough to be exact). Unless something was passed relating to the recent NY-NJ spat, I have no reason to suspect that it (or at least the NYS portion) is no longer officially part of NYC.

well, technicallly Queens and Brooklyn are part of Long Island. The only two scenerios where I ever drive to NYC are from Connecticut to Manhattan, and from Connecticut to Queens/Brooklyn…USUALLY to just get to the airports.

There’s your answer then. Take the Deegan down to the Willis Ave. Bridge to the FDR. To get to the airports, take the Queensborough Bridge and go from there. If you’re going to Newark Liberty, though, I think you’re SOL, at least if you want to stop in the city on the way.

For what it’s worth, I was just flipping through a statute book and randomly came upon the following, from Laws of 1882, Chapter 410, Section 1:

Sneak on to a Metro-North train and stow away in the bathroom.

…And everyone knows that Hutchinson Elementary School is in Herndon, not Reston.

Nope, when you’re going down the Deegan (I-87) it’s either the Madison Ave Bridge or the 3rd Ave Bridge. I only think you get on the Willis Ave into Manhattan during morning rush hour, from the 3rd ave bridge exit. They open it to southbound traffic in the am to help with the rush. Normally the Willis Ave is northbound only, and you can access it from either the FDR drive or 2nd Ave.

The best way to drive to Manhattan for free and never pay tolls is to drive one of these.