Getting Rid Of The Landline (phone)

I’m thinking of getting rid of my landline phone. I have DSL and rarely use my landline phone for calls anymore. All my friends are or can be trained to call my cellphone. I don’t have a large volume of calls, and I travel about a week a month.

Thoughts?

Whistlepig

Do it if you get pretty good reception in your home. We do, so we dont have a landline. The only time these days I use a landline is in situations of poor connectivity. Mostly me calling my parents (i call their landline, not their cell).

I wouldn’t get rid of it. You should always have an emergency back up in your home in case your cell phone (for whatever reason) should fail to operate in an emergency.

Try to find the cheapest plan your phone company offers-- get rid of long distance, for instance. I’ve heard of some options for “emergency only” phone service.

I have good connectivety and don’t have emergencies (I’m a single guy, no kids).

Whistlepig

IIRC, even a disconnected landline should still be able to dial 911, much in the same way that a cell phone not currently attached to a plan should also be able to dial 911 (no cite, I’m quite frankly too tired to look). I may be completely off base here though.

I ditched my landline over 2 years ago (about 5 months after I first moved to my new apartment and about 1 month after I got my cell phone). I figured, why pay $25 + long distance charges a month for a landline phone when I could pay $35 for a cell with more minutes then I’ll ever use and free long distance? And I’m usually only home for about 4 waking hours a day anyway.

But I second the suggestion to figure out how good the reception is in your house/apartment first. When your friends come to visit, ask them what their plan is and see how well their phones get reception…

Will your local phone company even sell you DSL without a POTS line? I know Sprint (my local phone company) won’t do that here.

Yep. Qwest is now offering “naked” DSL.

I get good reception on my cell phone throughout the house and yard.

Whistlepig

We have the “just a dialtone” plan. It costs us $35 a month. Ok, the plan costs $17 a month, the rest is taxes and fees, plus $2 for voicemail.

I would like to drop our landline, but we have a TiVo. It needs to dial out to download programming schedules. So if you have a TiVo or are planning to get one (now thatwe have one I couldn’t imagine watching TV the normal way), you might want to keep basic service.

I have a Tivo as well, but ditched my lan a long time ago. My Tivo connects through my home network (cable modem). Although it appears that Tivo wants to connect to their server through a phone line on setup, there are easy hacks around it.

The day I got rid of that infernal phone was the best day of my live.

I moved about three years ago. Somehow I didn’t get around to orderning new phone service for a few weeks ago, and then realized that I was doing fine without it. So I never ordered it. I’ve been without a land line for three years, and it’s worked just fine for me. I get perfectly good cellular reception in my apartment, so I can’t for the life of me see why I would need a land line.

Our TiVo is hooked into our satellite TV dish. Do you think that would work for us, with the satellite? I do have a cable modem, but all our TV programming is Direct TV.

voicemail on a phone that only dials out to 911, or have you mistaken what “emergency only” means?

$35 sounds about right for what we pay… we use it to run DSL (no naked DSL here) and to let telemarketers phone us.

I ditched mine about a year ago, and so far I’ve come out ahead. The only trouble I’ve had is varying degrees of connectivity (“Nationwide, all digital, clear connections” my ASS! :slight_smile: ) And running out of minutes when I didn’t expect it.

Consider that you might actually need to use the phone for a long period of time during peak hours. Dealing with utility companies, banks, etc. can take hours on the phone, and once those free minutes are gone they charge you out the wazoo for air time. I was in a car accident a few months ago and spent hours on the phone with insurance guys and auto dealerships. These are things that you can’t predict. I do as much such “business” on the phone as I can on the landline at work, but there have been times when all I had was my cell and I ended up taking a hit on the bill.

On the other hand, having free nationwide long distance has saved me more $$$ and allowed me to keep in touch with distant friends enough so that they really don’t seem distant anymore. It’s sad, but getting a long distance phone call used to mean something special. Now it’s a case for “can I call you back in five minutes? I’m right in the middle of something here…”

I say cut that cord!

EZ

My brother kept hounding me to lose my landline. I haven’t investigated whether Verizon will still supply me DSL if I don’t have a home number, though I suspect they will since they are essentially separate companies. Anyway, one night I was having computer problems and my cell phone obstinately refused to work, only responding, “system busy.” So if I’d taken his advice and dropped the landline I wouldn’t have been able to call him.

I too rarely use the landline except to make local or 800- calls, but I also like my phone number and like having a back-up to my recently finicky cellphone. Unless you truly can’t afford the $25 for minimum service I’d say keep it. Saying you “don’t have emergencies” seems a little ridiculous to me because you never know what might happen. However, I suspect that you already have your mind made up, whistlepig and are just looking for a little validation that it isn’t a horrible idea.

SO and I ditched the land line a few years ago when we switched our ISP from the phone company to the cable company. We will never go back though there has been some hitches along the way.

Our old apartment had horrible cell coverage and we suffered inumerous dropped calls. But since we moved, our coverage is excellent. Of course, we live in an suburban area so there are only a few holes in coverage while out and about but none where we live. Nothing’s convinced me yet of the necessity of a land line for strictly emergency. We have kids, so I don’t see what that has to do with it.

Our cell plan is a family plan which includes two phones with shared minutes. When SO and I talk to each other, which is most of our calls, it doesn’t eat into our minutes. Weekend calls don’t either. Since most of our family is out of our area code, we’ve saved a bundle on long distance calls. The only times we exceeded our minutes was when I was working on an event. We ended up getting hit pretty bad, upgraded our plan and it went on, lesson learned. If you anticipate unusually high usage, you can upgrade for the duration and then downgrade once you don’t need all those extra minutes. You can check your minutes regularly and head off any surprises before the bill comes.

As for telemarketers, I never hear from them. We don’t have to pay extra to avoid being listed in a phone book or directory assistance. We don’t pay extra for caller ID. (Yeah, our land line bill was starting to look like the phone company brochures listing all those little extras that make having a phone more intuitive.) Oh yeah, and when we moved, our phone numbers stayed the same.

We don’t have check each other’s messages on the answering machine or deal with calls for one another. I have my VM, SO has his. It’s liberating not being each other’s secretary. I don’t have to come home and spend time listening to messages and calling people back: time-consuming if you’ve been busy or away from the house for a long time. I get all my messages on the road. If you can’t reach me on my cell, you can’t search for me at another number.

Funny thing, I’m not much of a phone person. I refuse to be a slave to the phone, but I wouldn’t trade my cell for a land line in a second. I feel much free-er (sp?). I’m especially happy that we’re not strapped down by two bills for essentially the same utility.

Go for it! :smiley:

Well, I don’t know where you live, but here in Eastern Virginia, hurricans are a fairly regular occurance. And of course, it’s almost a given that the power will go out for at least a few days. No power= no cell signal…whereas I’ve never lost the land line. So keep that in the back of your mind.

If you have the Tivo that is integrated into the dish box? If so, I would think that Tivo would get all of its programming throught the satellite. If not, and you do have a cable modem and want to use it for the Tivo, send me an email if you have any problems.

If you happen to be in an earthquake zone, your cell will likely be a paper weight, for a few days. Actually, any wide spread event that overwhelms the infrastructure is likely to magicly turn cell phones into wearable art.
Also, if an incident lasted longer than a week, would your battery live?

I ditched the landline the day I moved into this apartment (and got RoadRunner).

Never looked back, and I still have yet to go over on my cellular plan. Triffic.