Ghost World appreciation thread

Has anyone here seen Ghost World?

This is my favorite movie ever. It feels like my life. I feel like Enid sometimes and I can relate. Does anyone have any funny qutoes from this movie or anything they would like to share?

Aww, crap! That should say “Ghost World.”

I reported your post to the mods so they can fix the typo. :slight_smile:

As for the movie - it’s one of my favorites as well. Especially Thora Birch, who was perfect in her role (not to mention - shmoking hot as well).

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it and I can’t think of anything else to say. :eek: Ah, here are a couple from IMDB:

Enid: We need to find a place where you can go to meet women who share your interests.
Seymour: Maybe I don’t want to meet someone who shares my interests. I hate my interests.

Melorra: Oh my God. We have to get together this summer.
Enid: [Deadpan] Yeah… That’ll definitely happen.

Soda Customer: Hi, can I get a medium 7-Up?
Enid: …Medium? Why sir, did you now know that for a mere 25 cents more you can purchase a large beverage? And you know… I’m only telling you this because we’re such good friends: Medium is really only for suckers who don’t know the concept of value.

I think I need to rent this one this weekend. :smiley:

I have to ask, have you read the book then?

Because I like the movie but I love the graphic novel. In fact Clowes in general…although Ghost World is a bit different than his other stuff.

I haven’t seen the movie. I read the book. It seems to stop in the middle of the movie, or maybe there was another half I never found. I liked the Lunchables-loving’ Satanist couple.

I’ve never read the book, but I see on IMDB.com that Daniel Clowes is coming out in 2006, with a new movie called “Art School Confidential.” I wonder if this is a sequel to Ghost World. I heard on IMDB that Thora gained 20 pounds for this role. What do you think the end means? A lot of posts on the message board at IMDB say it’s Enid’s suicide. Scarlett Johanssen had her career really take off after that movie, but Thora not so much. Thora was a big child actress in Patriot Games, Monkey Trouble, American Beauty. Where do you think they shot parts of the movie because I know it was shot in L.A. , but what city to be exact?

Fixed it.

Jesus, the people who post ont he IMDb message boards are a cancer cluster of morons. She takes the bus off to the unknown future. No suicide involved.

Johanssen received more acclaim for her roles in The Horse Whisperer and Lost in Translation, methinks. Ghost World barely saw distribution beyond art house chains, though it has quite deservedly become a cult favorite. (Terry Zwigoff, who directed it, also did the fascinating/horrifying documentary Crumb.) Johanssen also had a fairly credible CV as a childhood actress (Just Cause, Manny & Lo, The Horse Whisperer) before, uh, blooming out.

Most of the outdoor scenes look to have been filmed in Northridge/North Hollywood area. Great film, anyway…a real antidote to the saccarine poisoning of John Hughes films for those of us who didn’t enjoy high school.

Stranger

:eek: Really?

Cool.

No I don’t think it’s a sequel as he’s had Art School Confidential as a bit in his comic and it didn’t involved Enid. Actually it was mostly viscious but painfully accurate digs at art school types (did I mention I went to art school?).

Anyway check out the source material (it’s been published as a seperate book but I thought it was more fun to read it along with his other stuff). It’s well worth it.

It’s…like a velvet glove cast in iron…

You really should read the “Ghost World” graphic novel. It’s really good in a different way than the movie. It will also clarify the ambiguous ending of the movie with Enid and the bus. Sort of.

I read in an interview that “Art School Confidential” is based on only 4 panels from the cartoon. I don’t recall if Clowes mentioned if those were 4 consecutive panels. The story was written many comic issues before he wrote “Ghost World”. It’s not a sequel.

Enid and Becky have only shown up in one other comic story in “Eightball” that takes place far in the future, and they are only in a few panels.

Blues Hammer!!!

I noticed that most of the actors in Ghost world are going to be in Art School Confidential. The character named Dana is in Art School and the Weird Al waiter guy, along with others I’ve forgotten.

In addition to being a great flick, the DVD has that insane Indian dance video of the song that starts out the movie.

I have 20th Century Eightball, a collection of some of his shorter Eightball stuff, and it has a short story called Lil Enid. It was funny. Also, the story Ugly Girls has a picture of a girl that looks a lot like Enid.

I love the movie. I also really like the comic. I have that, 20th Century Eightball, Like A Velvet Glove Cast in Iron, and Ice Haven. I’ve also read David Boring, which I didn’t like, but reading some of the comments on Amazon made me appreciate it a little more.