Ghosts of Office Christmas Parties Past

No one has said anything, but it’s certain that we won’t be holding our usual Christmas Party at our office in this COVID Plague Year. We got gift cards at the local supermarket for Thanksgiving, but that might be intended to cover Christmas,too. Hallelujah and Merry Christmas, and Have a Happy New Year.

This makes me think back on all the Christmas Parties I’ve been to, at the myriad companies I’ve worked at. We never had anything like the wild Christmas parties that showed up in magazine cartoons in the 1960s, which featured drunken behavior and regrettable decisions. Did anyone? I don’t think anyone served anything alcoholic at most of the work parties I’d attended.

Most of them involved buffets where people sat at paper-tableclothed folding tables in the largest open space in the building (often the lobby), with a couple of speeches, maybe some games with little prizes (like scratch-off lottery tickets), or little gifts given out. The most bittersweet of these was a party where the two businesses occupying the building were both effectively getting tossed out within a month or so. we met in the set-aside Break Room from which the vending machines had already been removed, leaving empty niches and holes in the wall. It was a Pot Luck, with people bringing food.

On the other hand, some were real big-time celebrations. Two were at country clubs, with surprisingly big and expensive gifts. Alcohol was served at this one, and everyone went home early.

Another was a huge family event – everyone brought their spouses and kids. There were toys for the kids, a live presentation of The Magic School Bus, a miniature Elf House with an Elf in it (another actor, seen through a reducing lens in the window, his voice shifted to high frequencies), and other activities. (No alcohol for this one – it was at the factory itself).

At one place, they simply shutdowmn the business for a couple of hours and took everyone (not a large number) out to an on-the0-company lunch at an Asian buffet.

Any interesting Office Christmas Parties out there?

I had a regrettable one. Big tado at a ski area lodge. Was on a first date with a girl I was trying to impress.

A part time fellow coworker from another department came up and started chatting. I wanted to introduce him to my date but…
I. Could. Not. Remember. His. Name. Then I finally remembered it and said -

“Hi Dave, this is my friend… em… er… total brain freeze and I forgot my dates name”

Then dinner started, and we ended up sitting at a big 8 person table. By ourselves. Not one of my finer moments.

Never had the large Christmas parties anywhere I’ve worked. Miz Pullin’s employer used to host a big gambling event with actual croupiers and such at one of the posh country clubs. It was arranged in some way to be legal and donate some of the proceeds, along with winners receiving gifts rather than their dollar winnings. And it was open bar, free drinks.

As time progressed and liability became a larger issue, the drinks were limited to 3 apiece, then pay your own, then the bar removed altogether. Finally the entire party was abandoned due to lack of interest. A whole lot of us, at least in the peasant class, are uncomfortable spending the evening decked in finery and trying to make conversation with upper management and C-levels.

I had temporary employment a couple of times at the headquarters of a worldwide membership organization; one of these temp positions was during the holiday season. It was the only office party I’ve been to which had real food (i.e.: not limited to hors d’oeuvres) from a high-end caterer.

My current employer has various parties spread amongst its several departments; I was at the director’s party one year because I was part of the entertainment at the time. Hors d’oeuvres there.

They rest of the department parties I’ve been part of typically either did pot luck or catered barbecue. One of my co-workers died at a catered event because she couldn’t handle climbing the couple of steps up to the banquet hall; we were sent home after that party was over.

Most of my career, I was a DOD employee, and any partying was during lunch hours, pot-luck deals, no booze. My husband worked in industry, but he hated company parties, tho we did attend a couple. One was the first year he was at a new company, and it was mostly awkward because he didn’t know that many people and I didn’t know anyone.

Some years later, we were going to follow his boss to the venue (pre-GPS days) so his boss and his wife came to our house. I’d never met the woman, but when we were introduced, her face was full of scathing disapproval of me for some reason, so that was a fun night… (we left early.)

The best ones were at my 4th post-retirement job. That company did it up right. They rented an entire facility, with 2 open bars, multiple buffet lines featuring international dishes, a short speech by the president, after which he gave out every-5-year anniversary awards, then there was dancing. Never saw or heard tell of shenanigans. I’m guessing they won’t be doing it this year.

As an aside, that company also did an annual family picnic at the home of the company founder - on the water, with a pool, and pony rides for the kids, and a boat chartered for rides down the river, amazing food, and soda and beer. Employees would bring appetizers and desserts, and eventually an ice cream truck would show up (paid for by the company.) Best. Employer. Ever!

Definitely a bummer.

Something similar happened at one place I worked at their Halloween party (which was the year’s big shindig there, with basically the day off and huge prizes for the costume contest). Someone died early on the day, and everything got cancelled.

The year before BIG Company bought us, we had the absolute best Christmas party at a big hotel - a Wyndham, maybe? Open bar, catered food, great DJ and dancing. My husband and I got a discounted hotel room for that one.

The next year BIG Company bought us. The Christmas party rolls around, and we were told that Kansas (the real band!) would be the entertainment. Wowie! Two weeks before the party, the powers-that-be decided that was too extravagant because we just had a huge oil&gas downturn and laid off a bunch of people. We had some lame-ass too-loud band, and some shitty cold food and it was just meh. You couldn’t even hear each other to talk! And a blinding disco ball - and nobody danced.

I haven’t attended a Christmas function since.

I’ve experienced a variety of different Xmas parties, ranging from potlucks at a manager’s house to big buffet events in hotel ballrooms with drinks and dancing.

But the only time I’ve been seen a crazy drunken work party was in 2001 (pre-9/11). Everyone on our floor was flown to Atlantis resort in the Bahamas for a weekend “work retreat”. We left immediately from work, boarding a bus to the airport (which had free beer on it), where we waited in the 1st class lounge (which had free drinks in it), after which we boarded a chartered jet (which had free drinks on it). When we landed in the Bahamas, we were driven immediately to a bar for more drinking. On the way back to the hotel, one woman was really, really drunk and someone was appointed to make sure she didn’t fall asleep on her back, for fear of drowning in her own barf. From that day on, I always thought of her as the drowning in barf woman.

In 78-79 I worked for the up and coming Federal Express (you did not call it FedEx per orders from Fred Smith). The company threw a lot of events for employees but the best were the Christmas parties. They were held at the historic Peabody Hotel with plenty of excellent food and open bars. I attended with one of my housemates who was also an employee. Being young and relatively poor, the chance to drink top shelf liquor was not to be missed. And drink we did. We had a great time. During one of them, it had started sleeting. When we got home, I got out of the car and proceeded to slip and fall on my ass on the walkway. I still remember rolling around in the yard howling with laughter.

In the mid 80s, I worked a few years for a local business newspaper. My job was to collect information from the Probate and Chancery courts. I shared a small office with someone from a title company in the Court House. There was a big Christmas party each year where an open bar would be set up in one of the courtrooms. I don’t remember there being any food. All business would cease and the festivities would begin around 2 in the afternoon. Judges, lawyers, business folks and employees all getting drunk on the government’s dime. And then driving home. Can you even imagine that happening now?

We usually had a Holiday party early (employee + one guest) in the year (3rd Sat in January or something like that) This had several advantages 1) most folks were not busy unlike December 2) It was easier getting a venue 3) Something to do in an otherwise dead time of the year.

We had pretty good food, a drink ticket or 2, a trivia contest (I really liked this), and sometimes prizes (these got progressively worse as budgets tightened)

We actually didn’t have one like this in 2019/early 2020 – we did have an employee only gathering one afternoon after work that had some decent snacks. Can;t remember if there was anything else.

In late december we also had a double elimination pool tournament. Free pizza and drinks (this was like 1-5 PM even in Wisconsin I don;t think anyone had more than 2 drinks and its not like the pool hall had 100 YO scotch.

Brian

In order to save costs we used to have our party at the Ritz Carlton in August. The event was called “[company name] Puttin on the Ritz”.

In 1996 the band was Huey Lewis and the News. They played for an hour or so.

In 1997 it was the Spin Doctors. They only played a few songs, then a DJ took over.

For $100 you could stay overnight at the hotel.

In 1998 the company was acquired by some churchy crooks and soon looted and destroyed. Part of the churchiness was no booze at company events. Groping women in the office apparently wasn’t against their religion though.

I need some explanation. How did a couple of steps up to the banquet hall kill a woman? And, of course you were sent home after the party was over, every one goes home after the party is over.

I promise I haven’t been drinking-just can’t parse this out.

Normally each branch has their own Christmas party, but last year they decided to do a big shindig with all the branches together. And they made it mandatory dress-up. To celebrate going into 2020 everyone was expected to dress up in Roaring 20s costumes.

I did not go. By the time Christmas rolls around I have been working too many hours and am tired of my coworkers.

Those who went had a good time. The food was good and the wine flowed. One of my coworkers missed his train home and slept on a bench outside the train station until the trains starting running again. I don’t think he was the only one.

I guess that’s the measure of a good party, right?

This year we get to charge in a $14 lunch and see each other over Zoom. Whee.

Obese and a heavy smoker. Her heart couldn’t take the climb.

Except for the director’s party, ours have been in the middle of the day so we go back to work after.

Thanks for the answers. Sounds like she was a time bomb waiting to happen. Any 4 or 5 steps would have gotten her.

Meh, if you have to celebrate but then have to go back to work, just let me bring my lunch and go home 2 hours early. Hand out a Target gift card on my way out the door.

We did better than that. We got a $20 credit on Doordash and got to nominate a charity to receive the remaining $30 that was supposedly budgeted ($50 per associate) for the holiday lunch (not only was there nice food with servers, we’d also have professional decorations and “Victorian” carolers and a vignettes from the Nutcracker by a local ballet company.

Our company is one of those doing rather better than most out of the pandemic so far. And employees have been either working very hard or struggling to work with kids at home or both. So anything for morale and giving back to the community is a good spend IMO.

I’m a night auditor. This means most people never see me. I went to the Christmas party where I distinguished myself by asking the woman next to me who she was. She was payroll.

To be fair she’d wondered who I was.

I worked at a very small company–three employees and a couple of contractors. At noon on Christmas Eve, the boss brought in a few bottles of wine, and a tray of sandwiches from the local deli. We drank the wine and ate the sandwiches, and happily chatted about Christmas plans and so on.

When everything was gone, we headed back to work. “Oh, I guess I forgot to mention,” the boss said. We’re closing for the holidays now. See you all on Monday."

I’ve been to many large boozy company parties over the years, but that small celebration, with the afternoon off, plus a couple of days off too, stands out.

I really only have ever gone to one Christmas party and that was last year after I was hired on as FT faculty. Before that I was a sub and didn’t really feel comfortable hanging out with a bunch of people who didn’t know who I was. Of course, last year people didn’t know who I was either and I was still uncomfortable, but oh well. At least I dont have to repeat it this year.

Before that I worked in long-term care but I usually worked the graveyard shift so that was my excuse for not attending the Christmas party.

While I’m not exactly a misanthrope I’m not exactly social either and any party-like function I try to abstain from. I’m just not comfortable anywhere where the main objectives are eating and talking to strangers.