Gift Ideas For An Aspiring Magician?

Silk handkerchiefs or scarves are even better. Silk feels nicer, and it just has that touch of professionalism to it.

Couple of links, just to show you that these things are out there…I haven’t bought these items, but they are what I’d buy: Silk Scarves & Veils MEN'S SILK HANDKERCHIEFS

A tiger!

What kind of magic? Sleight-of-hand, card tricks, prop-based, cabaret-style, humorous, escapology, or outright Insanely Dangerous Stunts?

(My #1 example of an Insanely Dangerous Stunt is Kristen Johnson’s fully visible Water Cell Escape. No curtain, no gimmicks, just a straightforward lockpicking routine while fully submerged.)

It’s not as straightforward as you might think. There are as many different types of magic as there are music. If you had a teenager whom you said was into ‘music’, you’d still want to know whether that meant rock, classical, jazz, soul, rap, grunge or whatever before buying a gift. Ditto with ‘magic’. It’s a broad field. It would also help to know this youngster’s level of aptitude and how serious the interest is: kids who just want to learn a few tricks want different things than kids who are seriously thinking of turning at least semi pro.

If your friend wants to email me personally, she can, and I’ll be happy to help with recommendations for her son.

Failing that, and shooting in the dark, I’d recommend one of the following.

1. Go to any of the major online magic retailers and order a couple of DVDs, preferably card magic done with regular cards. Or get them direct from L & L Publishing. Michael Ammar does a wonderful series called Easy To Master Card Miracles, and Bill Malone’s material is also excellent.

The thing about card magic done with a regular deck is that it’s kind of the ‘five finger exercises’ of the magic world… it’s good basic groundwork for whatever branch of magic you end up going into. Also, card magic is the ‘lingua franca’ of the magic world. When two magicians get together and ‘session’, it’s handy to be able to do a few card routines, whether or not this is your speciality. Not to be able to do anything at all with cards is just a little bit embarassing in the magic world, and something of a barrier to credibility within the peer group.

1. If he has a more serious interest, then invest in books rather than DVDs. The L&L people (see above) do books, and so do all the major magic retailers. The Royal Road To Card Magic (by Hugard and Braue) (that’s ‘Braue’ as in ‘brow-ee’ rhymes with ‘Howie’, if you’re ordering over the phone) is essential if he hasn’t already got it, and the Card College series by Roberto Giobbi will also be a good investment. Start with Volume 1 and see if he works at it.

2. If he’s really interested, the best gift of all would be to arrange for him to attend a major magic convention, although the specifics will depend on where he is based. It’s hard for teenagers to attend conventions because they can’t usually afford them or handle the logistics, but a parent can make it happen with a little determination. It’s a fantastic gift for a youngster with a serious interest, and abosolutely the best way for him to make friends and contacts and be influenced by the creme de la creme of the magic world.

Seconded. I’m not a magician, but the son of a magician (and the godson of the owner of a magic shop). When I was young, I was a ventriloquist (I eventually got well), and vents didn’t have their own conventions - they hung around magic conventions. I attended International Brotherhood of Magicians conventions in Kansas City and St. Louis. It was difficult to walk down a hallway without someone looking for an appreciative audience for some bit of card or coin magic.

And to be frank…he’s a teenage boy. A scantily clad lovely young female assistant would be GREATLY appreciated.

Have you any idea of the expense of keeping one of those? Think of the boys parents!