Gitmo suicides were really acts of warfare

You missed the memo. Bush administration revisio… err… researchers have discovered that there was a typo. The words “for Americans” were accidentally left off the end.

Did you hear about those stop at nothing Iraqi bastards that were shot by some US soldiers at Haditha the other day? They deliberately and provacatively screamed and gasped as they were shot, and then *just to be complete assholes * and for no other reason but to hurt US interests, fell to the ground in gruesome poses so that people would feel sorry for them. Are there no depths to which those terrorists will not sink?

I think history proves this wrong - amoung other methods, many hunger strikes have been done for politicl reasons, which is a slow form of sucide, and was tryed by the detainees in Gitmo before - the result was (painful) forced feeding. So the slow way to kill one self to make a statement was not available to them - so they had to do the quick way. I’m not saying that the prisoners were thrilled at their situation, but it seems far more likely to be a political statment.

&

Calling it anything else woudl be a lie, are you suggesting that the commander lie to the American public?

Counter information, transfer to another country does not necessarily mean release, and one seems like a real bastard (the Al-Q guy). I can’t fault a POW (or detainee) for killing a prison guard in a attempt to escape

From http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GUANTANAMO_SUICIDES?SITE=WABCAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Really? You know that for a fact? Fucking CITE?

Thank you, John. You took the words right out of my mouth.

I’m sure they’d have been delighted to engage in a more symmetrical response, but it’s not like Admiral Harris was going to ask any of them if they’d like to step outside and have it out with fisticuffs, one on one.

Optimist.

The OP of the thread is a Fucken CITE, can you find a Fucken CITE to prove otherwise?

Eh, assuming the next president is a Democrat, which seems less than unlikely, he’s going to spend some time, even for purely political reasons, putting the house in order.

Truthfully, this isn’t the biggest fuckup of the administration. (Most purely evil, yes)

No, neither is the Iraq war.

The half… quarter-assed restructuring of the governmental bureaucracy to make the Office of Homeland Security has such far-reaching and messed up results that the more I investigate it, the worse it looks.

It’s your assertion, you prove it. The link in the OP proves dick.

So you’re saying reality is the fucking moron? The “act of war” judgment is an opinion. Shit, even Joseph Heller wouldn’t have thought up this joke.

Foxtrot that!
If in that situation, I’d stick around, hoping for eventual release, so that I could extract vengeance upon my former oppressors.
I am not kidding.

No, transfer doesn’t necessarily mean release, though his lawyer seemed to think so. He could have always been sent to a country where he’d be treated worse. And if there’s evidence that the one prisoner killed a prison guard, why wasn’t he charged with anything? Unless, of course, his being there and the death of the guard are purely a coincidence.

So, I saw one of the Sunday talk shows with retired Gen. McCaffrey (sp?) on it-- had to be one of the xxNBC channels, because he’s their guy. He must’ve had the same educational training as the guy in the quote, since he claimed this was no different than what suicide bombers do in Bagdad. Uhm, no… If the suicide bombers walked out into an empty field and blew themselves up, we’d all cheer. If the hung themselves in their apartments to protest the Great Satan, we’d love it.

It may have been a form of protest or it may have been an act of desparation-- or a combination of the two. I don’t see how we can saying anything about their motivations at this point.

If the prisoner is/was considered a EWP (POW), his actions would be OK under the Gevona Convention.

You and your unproven liberal conspiracy theories, why in the world would we discredit the Commander of Gitmo’s statement - what proof do YOU have to do so. His statment IS THE FUCKEN CITE and unless you have ANY EVIDENCE to prove that he is lying - If not please go back to your conspiracy buddies. If you do I would be happy to entertain them.

I don’t think you two are arguing the same thing. Could you each state explicitly what you are arguing?

Must have missed that convention.

You are a dribbling idiot.

The Commander’s statement relies on a knowledge of the intent of the people commiting suicide. If they didn’t tell him why they were doing it, then he has nothing but speculation to guide him.

No-one has said that he’s lying. He could well be telling exactly the truth about his own beliefs. What people are questioning is the way in which he interprets and explains these actions, and the way in which he leaves out a whole bunch of possible alternative motivations and reasons for the suicides, and immediately assumes that they are acts of “asymmetrical warfare” designed to gain good PR for the prisoners and their cause.

He’s the one making this assertion, so the burden is on him (and idiots like you) to back it up with some evidence.

I would imagine that a Gitmo prisoner could defend a prosecution for killing a guard as self-defence, on the grounds that he was wwrongfully imprisoned. They could also argue that they were not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States while in Cuba. So a prosecution might bring up all sorts of issues that the US would not want raised.

Also, given that the US has decided that it can just keep people imprisoned for as long as it wants to without trial or any other consideration, prosecution would be largely beside the point anyway. Why bother prosecuting when you’re just going to keep the guy in jail forever anyway?

And i’m sure the other guards would make sure there was some extra punishment for him.

The only conspiracy buddy is the one who made the suicide assertion in the first place. Everyone else is saying “it is unknowable”.

Christ you’re stupid.

And inhumane too, but perhaps the two things come in the same package.

“Liberal conspiracy theories?” What the fuck? Since when is asking you to prove your own half-baked assertions a “conspiracy theory?”

“Conspiracy buddies?” Christ, you’re a fucking imbecile.

You made an assertion that calling the suicides “anything else [but acts of war] would be a lie.” I’m asking you

Accidentally hit the fucking submit button.

You (kanicibirdmade an assertion that calling the suicides “anything else [but acts of war] would be a lie.” I’m asking you HOW THE FUCK YOU COULD POSSIBLY KNOW THAT?

Quoting the Commander of Gitmo does not represent a cite because, guess what, HE CAN’T POSSIBLY KNOW EITHER. Do you think he has psychic powers or something?

Calling the suicides an act of war is stupid even if it was done as an attempt to alter public opinion. If non-violent attempts to alter public opinion can be labelled as “acts of war,” then Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi were ruthless warlords. Comparing the suicides in Gitmo to suicide bombings is just right through the fucking looking glass. Statements like that are almost breathtaking in how glibly disingenuous and malicious they are. Calling it Orwellian is not even hyperbolic anymore.

If these guys were killing themselves as an effort to make things better for their comrades in the prison, then their sacrifice is heroic.

I also want to remind you that the decision to (hilariously) spin these suicides as “acts of war” is based on a completely unproven assumption that anyone in Gitmo is our “enemy.” It has not been shown that any these guys are guilty of a fucking thing. FYI.