Give yourself a new name

It has become the custom in most of the world for students studying English as a foreign language to adopt an Anglo name, for use in classroom conversation drill. In some places, such as Hong Kong, people with Chinese names who speak English will have an English given name, which will become somewhat formalized, and will be the only name that their Engiish-speaking friends or associates will ever know. Even on their business cards, which will have the real name in Chinese, their English name will be used on the Roman alphabet part of their card. My friends in Hong Kong are Samson and Justin, they get mail addressed to those names, and I never knew their Chinese names.

Americans studying Spanish in Latin America do the same, usually with a Spanish equivalent name to their English name, or something tolerably close. They then become known by that name to their Hispanic friends, and to each other if they are in a group class. My wife and I met in Guatemala, and she still calls me by my Spanish name.

Judge Mike Rotch