Giving a cat medication!

Yesterday I brought my cat Vladimir home from the vet, where he had to spend time having his teeth worked on. A thorough cleaning was done, and he had to get a shot of antibiotics in a lower canine.

Anyway, there was some liquid medication I’m supposed to administer, from an eye dropper. Ever tried that? Huh. Two times I rassled with the cat, to no avail. He hasn’t hardly eaten since yesterday either.

So today I went to the store and bought a piece of fried chicken. It’s one of his favorites to beg for. I minced a small portion of the breast, and dropped the medicine onto it. Vladimir ate about half of it, so progress is being made. Then he went back behind the recliner. I had to pick the chicken up and put it in the fridge, so my other cat, Tobermory, wouldn’t eat it.

Later this evening I’ll try again, mixing the chicken in with some of his dry food. Keep your fingers crossed for me! :smiley:

Forcing a cat to take medicine is usually a two man job, one person to hold the cat down, the other to ingest the meds.

Try the “kitty burrito”–wrap the cat up in a towel, thus reducing the wriggling and scratching potential. This is the only way we can get medicine down our cat.

See if it comes in pill form. I could always get pills down my cats, but never liquid. They would hold it in their mouth, then do Jackie Gleason spit-takes when I let go.

I had pretty good results with putting liquid medicine on a favorite treat (the cat in question is exceedingly fond of roast turkey). I figure that any time I can get more than half the medicine inside the cat, it’s good enough. Using treat food seems to work better than trying to administer liquids to a cat who does not intend to take his medicine.

Ooh ooh - I’ve watched the Today show fewer than half a dozen times, but one was this week and this very subject was addressed. The guest vet said to empty the droper along the outside of the teeth towards the back of the mouth, not to aim for the middle of the tongue. An alternative he mentioned is that cats can absorb topical medicines easily through the hairless area of their ears.

Try the kitty burrito method, and then once he has the medicine in his mouth hold it closed and gently blow in his nose. It makes them swallow. This is the best method I have found to get my cat to take his medicine when he comes back from the vet.

We have found that, barring the burrito method, the best way to get our girls to take their meds is to put the drops on their backs. They will go nuts trying to lick it all off.

there is this thing i call the “miracle of fancy feast”. very few cats can resist it. get a can that mentions minced or sliced on the label. these have “nummy” gravy in them.

get about a half a teaspoon’s worth of gravy and bits and add the liquid med. to it. serve to kitty.

9.9 times out of 10 kitty will clean up what ever you serve it in, so clean you may not have to wash it.

That’s another one I might try!

Another vote here for the “kitty burrito” method. If you get it in pill form, there’s an even better thing that I recommend – fill the eye dropper with water, drop the pill into his mouth, and squirt the top of his mouth with the water.

In any case, good luck!

I give my cat her “drops” medicine in a little wet food or in a bit of liquid like the water from a can of tuna. She laps it right up!

Giving her her allergy shots, on the other hand, is a nightmare…

I had a cat with chronic renal failure. She need a pill and a liquid med once a day, and an sub-q drip of saline every other day. She really didn’t mind me shoving a needle in her side. I wouldn’t have to wrap her, she’d sit quietly on my lap. She hated the med. For those, I would crush the pill and mix it with the liquid. I would wrap her in the towel and administer is using a syringe without the needle, but with a bit of aquarium tubing at the end, so I didn’t have to shove the whole thing in her mouth. It worked very well.

StG

1. Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat’s mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with lef hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of 10.

4. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

5. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, holding front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold cat’s head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat’s throat vigorously.

6. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

7. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with its head just visible from below spouse’s armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force cat’s mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

8. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to spouse’s forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

9. Retrieve cat from neighbor’s shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

10. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

11. Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

12. Tie cat’s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Force cat’s mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 1/2 pint of water down throat to wash pill down.

13. Get spouse to drive you to emergency room; sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Stop by furniture shop on way home to order new table.

14. Arrange for vet to make a housecall.

Whiskas also has these gravy-rich pate packets that work really well, too.

Don’t know about liquid medicines, we usually get them to swallow it using the towel/brute force method. I’ve found that you can get a cat to swallow a pill by coating it in butter before you force it into their mouth. They don’t usually spit it back up if you do that.

My vet recommended mixing the medicine in with some canned mackerel, especially the juice. It’s pretty smelly, but cats lurrrrve it.

Well, good luck with that. 23 years as a Vet Tech and I still can’t medicate my own cats.

Get some jarred pureed baby food meat and mix it in with that. Cats love it.

Greebo
Truly inspired and totally funny! :stuck_out_tongue:
Best laugh I’ve had in days.