Gnomeo and Juliet: worth seeing in 3D?

I’d really rather this not be a debate on whether Gnomeo and Juliet is worth seeing at all. Fact is, tomorrow, mudgirl and I will go see the movie. She really wants to see it, we always go into town on Saturdays (she has bowling league in the morning), and it’s not reviewing so horribly that I think I’ll want to stab myself.

The question is, is it worth the extra cost (about $2.50 per ticket) and extra time (the regular version has a showing at 1:30, the 3D not until almost 4:30) to see it in 3D? Some movies are really enhanced by 3D (Up, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs), while for other movies, it’s just a gimmick intended to sell more tickets.

So, given the additional wait and additional cost, is this movie worth seeing in 3D?

It’s a gimmick. I would rather have saved the time and money and gone to see the 2D version.

Really hopes this doesn’t turn into a blanket 2D vs 3D debate

Well, we saw it today in regular 2D, and you could pretty much pick out which parts would have taken advantage of the 3D, and I don’t think any of it would have improved the movie significantly.

But as I said in my OP, some movies really are great opportunities for 3D, but with others, it’s just a chance to say “Hey, look at me!” I think this was the latter. Still, it was more amusing than I really had hoped for.

According to the reveiw I read in… I think it was the WSJ? Yes, I’m pretty sure- according to that reveiw, you should definately go see the 2-D version.

Yeah I really regret spending that extra $4 to see The King’s Speech in 3D…

Our local theaters didn’t even offer it in 2D. It was 3D or nothing.

I guess in that case, your choices are 3D, wait for video, or don’t see it at all. :frowning:

I’m glad ours was offering it in 2D. I just don’t think it would have been worth the extra money for the 3D.

Actually there was just an article over at Gizmodo about how to turn 3D glasses into 2D glasses. I think I’m going to make a pair of these for the next movie that I have to go to that only has 3D.

I have an easier method:

I thought the 3D was actually pretty well done, but the movie overall was barely average, so I’d say “save your money and see it in 2D when it comes out on DVD.”

Well, that’s probably the route I’d have taken if I hadn’t already promised my daughter we’d go see it this past Saturday.

I’ve no interest in seeing it a second time. When it comes out on video, she may want to save up her money and buy a copy.