Go see David Sedaris. Right now.

:smack:

I haven’t gotten to that book yet!

I did, however, get a great deal on his all inclusive box set of CD audio books on eBay. Should be here any day.

You realize that Sedaris is gay, don’t you? If you are that’s fine. I’m just checkin’.

edwino, that essay in his book Me Talk Pretty One Day, although I don’t have it with me right now so I don’t remember the title.

I’m hating the injustice-- the closest he’ll be is two hours away, and on a work night. Poop. Maybe I’ll go anyway, David Sedaris is worth missing half a night’s sleep, right?

Oh yes, Birds of America was good, but not a cheerful book, on the whole.

Yes, I realize that he’s gay. It’s made very clear in the one essay of his that I have read. I have no problem with that. The essay to which I refer, Go Carolina is the first one in Me Talk Pretty One Day. It details his battle with a speech therapist who is attempting to cure him and several other boys in his school, of his lisp, while he attempts to hide it by never speaking words containing an /s/. The real agenda here is to cure him, and the other boys, of their homosexuality. These boys are easily identified because they lisp.

I don’t find this funny for two reasons. First, speech therapy, when successful, has definite benefits for its clients. Second, the essay says that the teachers in his school were able to identify the boys with homosexual tendencies because they lisp. I don’t find stereotypes funny in general, and this one is no exception.

As I said, humor is a personal thing. I don’t find Mr. Sedaris brand of humor funny, but obviously many do. I thought A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius was clever and often laugh out lout funny. The two people to whom I’ve recommended it found it dull and obvious.

I don’t expect to argue anyone into disliking Mr. Sedaris work, nor would I want to. He isn’t to my taste, but there are plenty of others out there who are.