Goddamn it! I already know how to use a fucking answering machine!

Guh! My mother sold her computer. It had too many features.

My message asks the caller to leave their name, number, and a message after the beep, because I was tired of getting messages requesting I call them, but they didn’t leave a name and/or number. ‘It’s me baby, call okay?’ doesn’t help me a damned bit. It is possible that more than one person in my life calls me baby.

We have an automated system thingy to request a sub, at work. One option is to press 9 if we’re finished. The preceeding process leads you to believe you have to stick around and listen to all the options before you can press 9 and confirm the job. No. You wait and wait, press 9, and then the recording says goodbye and disconnects you. There is absolutely no need for this step. I asked the head tech guy who chose the system and it’s features. He told me it has no function but since it was an option, he put it in. Feature bloat, indeed.

I still get calls for “Mary” and “Max,” four years after getting this phone number. (There is a Maxx here, but since he’s a 15-year-old manx cat I have to assume they aren’t calling for him.) Anyway, for a while my voicemail said, “This is NOT the correct number for Mary and Max and I don’t know how to get a hold of them. If you’re calling for Mary or Maxx, please hang up now.” I still got messages asking for them… which makes me think people don’t really listen to messages anymore, they just wait for the tone.

coughs I did something similar with my old phone before I learned how to lock the keypad.

Only they heard us singing ‘Little Green Frog’ on the bus.

My son does the “hello” thing to. Then after a moment that’s long enough for people to start talking he goes on to say in perfect deadpan “leave your name, number, and favorite color and I’ll get back to you.” Yes, my son is quite the card.

And, no, people do NOT listen to the message. I did some contract billing work for a chain of dialysis centers and it was easiest just to leave my cell-phone number when leaving messages on calls I made on their behalf. I terminated the contract two months ago and changed my message to give detailed instructions on how to reach the various parties at my former client’s business, and yet I still get daily messages from various insurance companies wanting me to call them back about a question they have on a claim for XYZ Dialysis. Sheesh.

I have made people that call me on my cell phone much happier, I went through my voicemail options and turned OFF that lengthy moronic instruction. Now it just plays MY outgoing message and beeps. I have not had a single complaint from anyone that they can’t figure out how to leave me a voicemail.

I agree.

Long, long ago, my first ever answering machine had the message “Hello, this is Ellis. I can’t come to the phone right now, so please leave a message.” Soon, I felt that took too long, so I changed it to “Hello, this is Ellis. Please leave a message.” That lasted for the better part of a decade, but with the new millenium, I sortened it even further to the simple “Hello, this is Ellis.” In addition, I switched the rings from four to two.

So, my buddy’s cellphone used to bug the shit out of me. SIX friggin’ rings, then it picked up and his voice said “Hi, this is Joe, I’m not available right now, so leave me a message.” Pause. Now robot voice comes in and gives me three long-winded options, followed by a pause, then a beep. Yay! Finally!

So my phone displays a running counter from the time of the first ring. His cellphone did not beep to leave a message untill 55 seconds after the first ring. GAAAAAHHHH!!! Often, my messages to him would start with this
Fifty five fucking seconds…shorten your goddamn message!!! So anyway, you gonna be around this weekend?”

Finally he wised up. His phone rings twice, dumps to his voice saying “Hi, this is Joe, leave a message”, followed by the beep. It is truly glorious.

BWAHAHAHAH!!!

The same buddy from my previous post did a similar thing, but luckily for him it was to a mutual friend’s home answering machine. The story was funny as hell that night at the bar, similar to your OP, but since we couldn’t listen to it at the bar, every time somebody showed up and heard the story they made him recreate the singing.

It was “Tricky”: (paraphrased badly from foggy memory)

“IT’S GREAT TO ROCK AROUND
TO ROCK AROUND
AT NIGHT ALRIGHT
IT’S TRICKY!
What? What?
IT’S TRICKY! TRICKY! TRICKY! TRICKY!”

On the original message, of course, he was blasting his (very nice) car sound system to ear-bleeding levels, and therefore screaming along to it. hehheh.

I have a cat–whom I hired to get rid of mice–who does indeed receive occasional messages. But since I don’t speak cat, and he doesn’t speak English, there’s little I can do that makes him seem much interested in using these functions. One thing that has become very popular and annoying is people who have their infant children leave out-going messages which are simply incomprehensible.

IAS, different companies have different menus, and they just want to make sure you know how to use their various functions, I guess. I do agree, however, that the “mark as urgent” thing is ridiculous because the recipient won’t know that the message is urgent until he or she actually listens to it. And there is certainly no reason to push a number if you’re simply going to leave a message; just “leave your message after the beep” should be fine. Sometimes people want to page you, and not leave a recording, so it seems reasonable to me that you should be offered the ability to “leave a call-back number” if you wish to be called at a number which isn’t the one from which you’re calling (like, um, maybe your mistress’s number?)

And one new feature on my phone I like is “press 8-8 to call back the number of this message.” Then I don’t have to write down the number, or memorize it, if I want to respond immediately. There also is a way to leave a message for someone that will be delivered in the future, which I always thought would be great to use if you knew you were going to die. “Hi. This is the Walrus. I’m dead now, but you still owe me six dollars.” In the old days I used it to remind myself to do things I was bound to forget, but that’s not necessary now since most phones can do the same things with simple text. “Forwarding” messages seems to be something that descended from forwarding email; maybe someone said something that was particularly amusing, and you wanted other people to hear the original.

And keep in mind that many people still don’t use answering machines or voice mail or cell phones, and they need a little guidance to get started. I still have to point out to my mother (a nurse) that she has pages on her company-supplied phone that she hasn’t read yet. “Oh, that crazy woman who was suicidal? She paged me two months ago? I really should have called her by now.”–yes, that is a true quote.

But I still can’t understand why the Europeans and Asians are so fascinated by text messaging. When something is important, you can just leave a voice message. But they seem to “over communicate” simply because they have the technology to do it. (I think companies there don’t charge as much for unlimited messaging.) People do the same thing with email. And that stupid use of “leet” or whatever the hell it’s called is just silly. I have a full text keyboard on my phone and it saves virtually no time to type “u” instead of “you”–and it doesn’t make you seem cool to use it; it makes you seem like an airhead adolescent. I bought a used phone where someone had forgotten to delete the text messages, and most of them were simply inane, pointless, and most of all embarrassing remarks about which mall to go to next.

The only advantage to a text message I’ve ever had was during a long, boring Friday afternoon meeting when my phone was on “silent,” (but “vibrate,”) and a woman across the table very discreetly sent me a message that said: “How about that motel on the corner when we get out of here?”

I wonder if this option pushes the urgent vicemail to the beginning - meaning it would be the first one played when the messages are checked. Or if the system gives the person checking messages the option to play urgent messages first or all messages in the order received.

If this is the case I could see how it could be useful.

When cell phones first became popular, I used to leave a voicemail that said, “Hey Cheryl, this is important. If you are there pick up. Hello…come on…pick up”. People at that time could never tell if I was fuckin around or just thought it worked like an answering machine. Ahh…the good old days. :wink:

If you really want to fuck with people’s minds, leave that as your outgoing message.

For my phone it makes the urgent message the first one heard. I also hear an automated voice saying “Message marked urgent.”

Of course, YMMV.

DC

Could be worse. At least it doesn’t include this additional sentence that’s found on most company’s voice mail systems: The pound sign is located directly below the 9 on most touch tone telephones.

That validates the whole concept right there. Maybe those Europeans and Japanese are smarter than we realized.

I got so sick of listening to people’s long-winded, stupid greetings, followed by all the damn instructions by the voicemail system, that I’ve now got a contact listing in my Outlook that tells me the bypass code that will take me straight to the beep for every person I call regularly – some are # and some are *, and in both cases, if you press the wrong one you get a request to enter a password, which is also annoying as fuck – have some consistency, for og’s sake!

And even though I have to leave a detailed greeting on our office voice mail with our office hours, etc., at the very beginning of the greeting I TELL CALLERS that if they want to bypass the greeting to press # now. That way no one HAS to listen to my greeting, which can be annoying if they already know the drill. I wish everyone did that.

My conspiracy theory on why the default cell-phone answering messages are so long is that they chew up the minutes of person you’re calling, plus the caller’s minutes (or extra long-distance charges). Anything to make 3 cents…

I had the strangest dream last night. I dreamt that something catastrophic happened - a big car crash, with severely injured people… something like that.

Anyway, I rang 000 (the aussie equivalent of 911), and instead of getting an operator, I got… THE MENU.

“If you are ringing to report an emergency, press 1. If you are calling about a non-emergency, press 2”.

Max presses 1

“If you would like to request the Police, press 1. If you would like to request the Fire Department, press 2. If you would like to request an Ambulance, press 3.”

Max presses 3

“If you would like to send a text message, describing the nature of the emergency, press 1. If you would like the Ambulance service to reply to your text message, press 2. If you would like the Ambulance service to return your call, reverse-charges, press 3”.

:confused: *Max pressses 1, then proceeds to hurriedly type in “car crsh ppl dying send ambo”.
I don’t know what happened after that because my dogs woke me up by sticking their wet noses in my face. It’s probably just as well. The battery on my phone was just about dead.
Max. :smiley:

But a good number of people have caller ID blocked.

Back before much cell phone propagation, I used the full amount of ‘outgoing’ message for music that I enjoyed. Foiled many a tele-a-market-er and also cause a lot of the automated dialers of same to drop off before completing the connection.

Had the added benefit of weeding out the folks that were just calling cause they were bored.

You wanna talk to me, you had to mean it.

Had on boss at work who hated, HATED, ABSOLUTELY HATED WITH A PASSION, to have to call me and by the time he got to a point to leave a message, it was short and to the point. Bawahahahaa

( All I had was a 30 second outgoing message tape so I felt that was not too long he he he )