Godwin for the gander - Senator Durbin shoots his fucking mouth off...

…and when called on it, refuses to back down.

Now, I realize Gitmo isn’t a well liked place among most people on this board, and I’m certain detention there isn’t especially pleasant. Neverless, comparisons to a concentration camp, or a gulag, or Pol Pot’s prisons are certainly overblown.

Coming from a powerful a figure as the Democratic Whip in the Senate merely hands our enemies some powerful propaganda, while doing nothing to address any problems at the camp. It inflamed a situation that needed no such thing.

So thanks a lot, Senator Dumbass. You remind us all why this rhetoric has no place in politics - absolutely nothing matches up to a gulag or concentration camp in a comparison. And I do hope that those posters who criticized Senator Santorum recently, and rightly so, for his idiotic Nazi comments have the guts to do the same when the comments come from a senator from another party.

I disagree. I think it’s a valid comparison.

I think Camp X-Ray will down in history as one of the darkest chapters of the current era. Instead of calling Senator Durbin’s hyerbole out, maybe the Republican Senators should work to put an immediate end to the utter fucking travesty that is Camp X-Ray.

And where the FUCK do you get off saying that he’s giving our enemies propoganda? Speaking out against an outrageous violation of human rights and systematic, administration-approved torture isn’t what’s giving our enemies ammunition… The human rights violations and torture are what’s giving our enemies ammunition.

Anyone have a link to Mr. Durbin’s direct quote?

And thanks to ever-on-message apologists, problems with the camp started unaddressed and look to stay unaddressed. If what it takes is shame, then shame is what it takes.

Santorum absurdly compared his political opponents to Nazis in a dispute over Senate proceedure. Durbin pointed out that if we strip away our egoistic bias and look at the events Gitmo, we would not recognize the principles and ideals of our country, but rather the acts of barbarism that we are supposed to stand against.

Your rant might appear more sincere if there was any reason to think that you actually cared about addressing the problem more than advancing your politics.

Mr. Moto: * Neverless, comparisons to a concentration camp, or a gulag, or Pol Pot’s prisons are certainly overblown.*

Wait a second. I completely agree that it would be disgraceful to call American soldiers “Nazis” or “Stalinists” or to attempt to compare, say, the current administration to Stalin’s or Pol Pot’s regimes on the basis of the Gitmo allegations.

But how is it out of line to describe specific abuses (alleged) at Guantanamo as comparable to abuses committed under those regimes? As far as I can tell from your link, what Durbin actually said was this:

Is that unjustified or offensive? I certainly don’t mean to be an apologist for any politician’s military-bashing. But I have to say that the remark quoted there doesn’t sound unreasonable. Yes, if I heard a general statement about guards “chaining detainees to the floor without food or water in extreme temperatures”, I probably would tend to think that it was describing events under some abusive repressive regime.

So what is wrong with Durbin’s saying so? Is it just because it’s unwise from a propaganda standpoint? I could see that, and I think it’s a legitimate objection. But I wouldn’t describe it as “Godwinizing”, and I certainly wouldn’t put it in the same league of overblown stupid rhetoric as Santorum’s comparison of Democrats to Nazis in the filibuster flap.

Mr. Moto, what specific distinctions can you draw that would help us understand the error of our ways?

Nothing scares me more than to hear supressive, Orwellian language like this start to become acceptable trade. Terrorists we can fight. China we can outmanuever. A cancerous eroding away of our values and principles from within: there is nothing we can do but speak out and hope others come to their senses.

Maybe it’s just me, but shouldn’t our standard of human rights be higher than, “Well, the Nazis/Soviets did a lot worse!”

From the American Heritage Dictionary

On the contrary, Mr. Moto, if the report from the FBI, a federal agency, is accurate, I would suggest that referring to Gitmo as a concentration camp is well within the dictionary definition. Or don’t you believe your own federal law enforcement agency?

Did they do worse, or did they merely do more?

Here is an idea: What we really need is a new word for something that violates human rights, is obviously evil but we don’t want to compare it to past evil becasue, well because of something.

I propose that we use the word naughty.

At this point, does it really matter?

I’m pretty sure there hasn’t been mass gassings at Gitmo, with the bodies being dumped into large ovens.

How about “absurd”?

There you have it. This shit couldn’t have happened because we’re not the type of people who would do it, and anyone who says yes, it has happened must be lying because they simply hate us. Faith-based truth in action.

Godwin’s Law doesn’t necessarily hold true when the comparison being made to Nazis is valid. It’s kind of silly to invoke Godwin, act like the argument is over because someone brought up the (gasp) Nazis and refuse to reflect upon it further.

Whew! I was worried that evil was bing done in our name for a moment there.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything. I’m not disagreeing with Durbin’s comment, but saying “Did the Nazis do worse, or just do more?” is pretty fucking retarded since I’m pretty sure that, yes, they did do worse. A lot worse.

“Mr. Baker, 37, a former member of the 438th Military Police Company, said he played the role of an uncooperative prisoner and was beaten so badly by four American soldiers that he suffered a traumatic brain injury and seizures. He said the soldiers only stopped beating him when they realized he might be American.”

Mr. Moto is going to be so disappointed to come back to this thread and find that his bandwagon has been stripped of not only all four wheels but also the calliope.