Goin' to Boston! What shall I see and eat?

Lobster Rolls - Mmmmmm!! Lok for them everywhere you go. They are served in a hot dog roll whose sides are toasted in butter. Yummy.

I loved that place! My wife and I went there for our honeymoon a few years ago. Well, Boston in general, not the planetarium specifically. I still get a chuckle over the guy who read the ground rules: “No eating, drinking, or smoking…OF ANYTHING…is allowed in the planetarium. I smelled some of you guys when you came in here…”

The stuff to see has been covered pretty well, I think.

As far as eating goes, DON’T EAT ANYTHING!. There are a lot of neat restaurants to go to, especially little holes-in-the-wall in and around Beacon Hill, and the Union Oyster House (if it’s still there; haven’t lived in Boston in 15 years), but pack in your own food.

Sad news for fans of the Avenue Victor Hugo Bookstore. They’re closing.

Yes! Yes! I love walking! I love subways! I loved that about London - just zip around, then actually see stuff as you walk by it.

Texas really sucks, in this regard.

Dagnabit! Well, y’alls just Yankees to us down here anyways… Just kidding. Please, please know that I am NOT a native Texan.

Good idea. I adore musicals and opera! This will so make up for the trip to Fenway! <insert maniacal laughter here>

Now this is great. I am a book person. Thank you.

You might be interested in a visitor’s pass on the MBTA, the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority, usually referred to as the T.

One day = $7.50 Three days = $18 Seven days = $35.

If you go to the Museum of Science, order your tickets before you go. It will save time in the lines and some shows sell out early.

Bostix is a half-price, day of show, “cash only,” box office at Copley Square and Faneuil Hall.

While the Avenue Victor Hugo Bookstore is closing, the Brattle Book Shop, established in 1825, is still in business.

???

I hope that is a wooshing sound I hear…

I’m not sure it still exists, but there was another place, called the Brattle Book Store, with zillions of good old books cheap. It has moved a lot and the proprietor used to sit on a truck giving away books on the way to the new location. I bought a nice 1900 edition of a Mr. Dooley book there for a few buck - however that was 30 years ago.

And I second the recommendation of Ave. Victor Hugo as a good bookstore.

Yeah, it’s sad about Ave. Victor Hugo closing.

I don’t know about forest Hills, but there’s nothing of interest at Oak Grove. Well, other than the fact that I live near there. :wink:

Isn’t the Arboretum near Forest Hills? If you’re not bothered by allergies, try to check that out!

The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University is about a ten minute walk from the end of the Orange Line at Forest Hills.

Or you could walk through the Mount Auburn Cemetery, the first garden cemetery in America. Tours are regularly offered, highlighting the horicultural and historic aspects of the grounds. The cemetery is a short bus ride from Harvard Square.

Your husband will want to see the Golden Banana.

A good trip is to walk from Harvard Square along Brattle Street, which has some of the finest colonial architecture around, to Mount Auburn Cemetery, take its tour, and then take the trolley-bus back. I love Harvard Square–it’s very authentically New England.

Well in that case, you absolutely have to plan to spend a day wandering around the bookstores of Harvard Square in Cambridge. There used to be 25 or so within a mile of each other, and while a few have closed or moved (McIntyre and Moore, in particular, which is now farther out on the Red Line in Davis Square in Somerville), it’s still book heaven.

Related links:
http://cambridge.zami.com/Bookstore/Harvard_Square
http://masstraveljournal.com/features/0204harvbooks.html
http://boston.travelape.com/attractions/harvard-square/
Booking the Red Line
Booking in Boston
Harvard Book Shop
WordsWorth Books

As mentioned in the Booking the Red Line link above, just get on the Red Line and head to Harvard Square station.

Melandry: I don’t understand your joke in response to my joke.

Anyway, I’m just saying that restaurants in Boston are a great disappointment, in my experience. My wife, who lived there for 10 years, agrees. Except, of course, for the lobster and chowder thing.

But it sure is a neat city.

He’ll have to settle for the outside view. It’s been closed due to building code violations ever since the nightclub fire in Rhode Island. It would have been done a long time ago except that the owner and the leaseholder are bickering over who should pay for it.

Let him go to Providence and check out the Foxy Lady instead. He’s likely to run into more than a few local pro athletes there.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is a world-famous *birdwatching * site as well as an arboretum, too, btw.

kelly5078, if you have never found a decent restaurant in Boston, I have no idea where you’ve looked.

This is patent nonsense.

Try Helmand in Cambridge, an Afghanistan restaurant owned by the family of the interim President of that country, Hamid Karzai. Try one of the two Elephant Walk locations, serving an interesting mix of French and Cambodian cuisine. Try one of renowned Chef Todd English’s two restaurants, Figs or Olives. Try Legal Seafoods whose clam chowder has been served at several presidential inaugarations. If you like Chinese I am partial to Changsho in Cambridge near Harvard Square. The Boston Beerworks near Fenway Park is an outstanding brewpub by any rational measure. Try any one of several Indian places in Central Square Cambridge. I have never been disappointed in any of these places.

I can’t speak to the quality of the Union Oyster House, never been there. Oh and stay away from Anthony’s Pier 4. I found it…disappointing.

Oh, and I like lobster but I never get it in Boston because of squeamishness on my part about the cleanliness of the local waters, especially the harbor. I satisfy my lobster cravings on trips to Maine.

Been to the Union Oyster House multiple times (not recently, but don’t think the quality or selection varies much) and it was fine. Can vouch for the chowder and mussels as being good plus it’s worth the stop for the history & ambiance.

As for the lobster in Boston coming from the local waters (meaning Boston Harbor), I’d be surprised if that were true.

If this is one of your first trips to Boston, I’d stick with Union Oyster House for lunch, Jimmy’s Harborside or Legal for lobster dinner, or go to the north end for Italian.