Goin' to Boston! What shall I see and eat?

I foregt the name of the place, but I had a pizza in East Boston, right on the waterfront. All it had was cheese and Italian peppers.
Best damn pizza I ever tasted.

As surprising as it may seem, there are people pulling lobsters out of Boston Harbor. “Commercial lobster and shellfish harvest valued at $10 million annually” from this page about the work of cleaning up the Harbor.

That’s some great news! Too bad clean-up success stories don’t make the front page more often.

So if we would like to see a lovely ocean view, is there a particularly great place to go? Will we have to drive?

Not sure about where to go for a view of anything other than the harbor (unless you count the water you think you’re going to crash into at the end of the runway), but I do not recommend visitors driving anywhere in Boston. Taxi fares are cheap and the subway is good too.

For a close-up ocean view, how about a whale watching cruise? There are several operating from wharves next to the Aquarium (also worth it), right on the edge of downtown near Quincy Market.

Just steer clear of the exhibits from near Ponape…

Why would you be surprised? You seem to be familiar with the area…lobsters are found in all the local waters. It would make sense that a lobster served in Boston most likely came from nearby. Boston’s is still a working harbor.

For the record I concede that my phobia is probably irrational, the harbor waters are much cleaner than they were 16 years ago when their cleanliness or lack thereof was made an issue in the Presidential campaign.

On another note I emphatically agree that out-of-towners should avoid renting a car unless they intend to drive some distance outside the city. A car in Boston itself when you are on vacation would just be a hassle.

Wasn’t there a restaurant with the slogan of “the fish you eat in here today swam last night in Buzzard’s Bay”?

And my husband’s uncle used to have a small boat moored at the cape and he would lobster with it. I’ve heard many tales about the bounty of his lobster catches…

Oh and please - save yourself the heart attacks and do not rent a car.

I’ve lived in MA all my life and I never drive in Boston. It is not for the squeamish. My husband can handle it because he used to commute into Cambridge every day. I believe the goal is for everyone to drive in such a way that there is never more than 2 feet between cars for more than 2 seconds.

If you’re here for the 22nd of may - consider the fest- a -que

I’d take the cruise to George’s Island and check out Ft. Warren.

For a great dinner check out EVOO. It’s a 10 minute walk from Harvard Square Station.

Not to pick on you in particular, Tanookie, but I’m sort of amazed at how many people are scared of driving in Boston. Makes me wonder if I’m some sort of driving superman for not being in the least bit intimidated by it. :slight_smile: It’s not so bad if you avoid the Big Dig vicinity. The parking is the biggest issue, in my opinion.

Actually, I’ve found New York metro area drivers to be at least as scary as Boston area drivers. I’ve never had anyone cut me off so agressively as around the tolls at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel in Weehawken! Repeatedly, I might add, on several different occaisons. In other parts of the country, I’ve found that people definitely have their own local versions of bad… I guess it’s just what you’re used to.

I hear the drivers are “bad” in Paris. I guess the good news is, when I head there for the first time in August, I’ll be right at home. Bring 'em on!

Anyway, after all that, there really is no need to have a car when visiting Boston. The four subway lines of the T go virtually anywhere worth going in Boston itself, plus a few surrounding communities. Add the commuter rail line and you’re pretty much set. The Green Line itself is something of a minor tourist attraction-- the first subway in the US: the original section was built in 1897. (Get off at the Boylston St. stop to see a station that’s remarkably unchanged in over 100 years.)

Lots of good suggestions on Boston destinations in this thread. That’s coming from a life-long Boston-area resident (minus 4 years of college).

Have fun!

I can’t believe that no one has suggested going to a comedy club. Boston is one of the prime comedy incubators in the country!

Also, as far as seafood goes, there used to be (and probably still is) a restaurant called “No Name” somewhere in the south end- I can never remember my way there, and since there is no sign, it’s hard to find. You have your choice of fish; whatever they catch that day. Fried or broiled. End of story. Very cheesy amosphere, but quintessentially Boston.

Also, the “Olde Town Trolley” Tours give a good view of the city and its history, especially if you get a particularly garrulous driver.

Don’t go to anyplace named “Cheers.” For the real thing, go to the “Bull and Finch” pub.

Since you’re from Texas, you’ll appreciate “Dabin” in Lexington; it has excellent barbecue. Korean Barbecue, that is…