Goin' to Dublin

To make a long story short, I will be spending three days in Dublin,Ireland between Christmas & New Years Eve. Anybody spent time there? What should I do? What should I see? Its not one of those places that I ever planned on going to, (but it’s kind of a nice surprise trip)so I never really thought about what a person would do there.
Any suggestions?

If museums, theater, or shopping isn’t your cup of tea, get out of town!

Wicklow isn’t far and it’s one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Old castles, tree covered mountains, cold water streams that are so clear they look black. That’s Ireland!

Dublin is a fine city, but not very historical, and not terribly unique. Most of the buildings date from the Georgian Era, so at times you might think you’re walking in Washington DC.

One thing I would check out is a theater group that performs in The Dublin Castle. I caught two plays in their Tennesee Williams festival. The southern accents were impeccable. Many of the restaurants are very good as well. Ask the shop clerks where they would take mum for her birthday. Don’t even listen to a recommendation from somebody at a hotel!

Have fun!

Funnily enough, I’ll be there about the same time you are.

Three things that should be on your list: the Guinness brewery, the Book of Kells, and the mummies at St Michan’s Church. Apart from that, there isn’t a lot of great touristy stuff to do. It is, however, a great place to drink.

Wear kevlar undies.

StoryTyler
I am too in shape! :::muttering::: Round is a shape.

Don’t miss Newgrange, an Iron-Age burial mound about 20 miles north of Dublin. You can go through a very narrow winding corridor into the central barrow.

Very interesting, and gives you a feel for our ancient ancestors. One of the most atmospheric places I have ever visited.