Going to high school with a GED diploma...

Is it possible? I’m seventeen, been home schooled since middle school, and passed the GED last August. Thing is, I’m beginning to regret that decision. I feel a yearning to go to high school and get a traditional diploma. Passing the GED means I’ve already “graduated,” but is it possible to re-graduate through high school?

I would hope so. check with your local school. Employeers like a HS diploma more than a GED cert.

If you plan on going to college (and you best do so) then why bother? You can get much of the same socialization in the first year or two of college.

Why not enroll at a community college? Don’t some of them offer classes that are essentially advanced high school courses?

Check with your local high school or your state’s department of education. Because you’ve “graduated” from high school, you may be academically ineligible to attend, but maybe not. YMMV, and without knowing where you live, it’s an impossible question to answer.

That being said, if what you’re after is the social experience, community college may be a better option. Once you’ve moved on to college or vo-tech, it doesn’t matter whether you have a GED or a “regular” diploma. Hell, I’ve got a GED and a bachelor’s and one and-a-half master’s degrees and I can’t remember the last time anyone asked me about high school.

I’m planning on going to college. My plan was to go to community college for a couple years, then transfer to a university…now I think it would be better for me to just get a high school diploma, then go to a 4 year college. Fair or not, high school diplomas look better in most people’s eyes.

I don’t want to plunge head first into university, which is why I want(ed) to go to community college first. But pretty much all of the colleges I’m interested in accept only a very small number of transfer students. Getting in as a transfer student would be more difficult than getting in as a high school graduate.

Ms Robyn - I live in Phoenix (Arizona), if that helps.

I checked the Arizona Department of Education’s website and found a memo that was exactly on point. In the past, people with GEDs were not permitted to attend high school on the public dime. However, the ADE has reversed that policy and now allows people with GEDs to enroll and receive state money to do so, as long as you otherwise qualify under state law. The confounding factor here is that you’re not a dropout, you were homeschooled. You’re going to have to talk to your local high school to make sure you’re still academically eligible to attend since some schools will not allow enrollment of people who have completed a high school program, which may include homeschooling.

(I have a traditional HS diploma, an AS (community college degree), and a BS)

Once you get a college degree, basic high school basically becomes irrelevant for job seeking, unless you did vo-tech in high school or made an extraordinary academic achievement. Even extracurricular activities and special accomplishments become old, and employers and admissions officers are probably going to be more interested in later stuff. High school stuff may be covered by a background check, but what they’re interested in is whether or not you took your father’s gun and shot up the cafeteria, not whether or not you took Calculus BC or what your GPA was.

If you can get an Associate’s degree (2 year community college degree), then 4 year schools and, later, grad schools basically don’t care about high school, even though the form might ask you for a transcript, it is unlikely to make any difference since you proved yourself academically in getting the 2 year degree. The US Army, I believe, considers a certain number of college (includes community college) credits as a high school equivalency in its own right, and I believe that this is based on the understanding that a person who is not at a high school level does not stand a reasonable chance of passing 30 college credits or however many it is.

If you’ve been homeschooled as you say, depending on what college you go to, it may be an intense social experience. There are all sorts of colleges, so take your time deciding where to apply to and which one to accept.

I’m pretty sure that a GED is sufficient to fulfill the baseline qualifications for practically any 2 or 4 year school, though I have heard that a small number refuse the GED, although if you have your heart set on one of those, you could get some college credits elsewhere (e.g. community college or a big state school), then apply to transfer. (see the official documentation and/or call an admissions officer at the target school for details)

Going at least one or two semesters at a community college could help ease the transition. It provides the academic experience of a major school, but students do not generally board on campus and there is not so much of a “college” social atmosphere (much less partying, for example). When you’ve picked up the academic routines of going to class only once or twice a week and deciding yourself when you are going to study and do homework, you can immerse yourself in the social experience at a major school.

I had no problem getting into a 4 year state school with a GED, although I did have a pretty good ACT score. Getting into Harvard might be a different story, but I don’t think GEDs are seen in the negative light everyone says they are.

In fact, when I got mine, the standard was this: A random sampling of known graduating HS seniors were given the GED test, and in order to pass the GED, someone had to do better than 2/3 of the graduating seniors. In other words, you had to be smarter than high school seniors in order to pass the GED. An employer looking for hard workers who can take a lot of crap might prefer HS grads, but people (like college admissions) looking for smarts shouldn’t care. In fact, my “smart” MOS in the Army was overrepresented by GEDs and had fewer than normal HS graduates.

Trust me, if you’re planning to go to college, then your high school diploma does not matter at all. And if you’re planning on a four-year degree, then where you did your first year or two does not matter at all. Community College is a great choice to get started on a baccalaureate program. You’ll get all the same 101s as you would at a prestigious university, taught by people who want to teach instead of do research, for a fraction of the price.

Thank you for finding that memo, Ms Robyn - I’ve been looking for an ‘official’ answer to my question, but wasn’t able to find one. Thanks for doing the work for me, heh.

Thank you for all the helpful advice, guys.

Especially when they’re a result of homeschooling and not dropping out of HS. Back to the OP, you’re better off just attended your local community college before transferring to a 4 yr school. Even if you don’t plan on staying long enough to earn an associate’s degree a semester or 2 will provide you with college credits and help ease the transition from homeschooling to sleepaway college.

Yes. Community college instructors are generally there to teach, not do research. Faculty at large universities are put under enormous pressure to do research and get grants, and oh, by the way, please teach Biology 150, Biology 203, and Health 120 on the side, thanks.

Another great thing about community college is that class sizes are frequently smaller. I took Freshman composition at a community college and there were not more than 50 students in the class. I took an intro hard science class at a major public 4-year university that was taught in a room that was basically an auditorium (they call them “lecture halls”) and there were hundreds of students, and exams were formally proctored with ID required to turn in your test.

I may be posting a little late but just as I was looking for information and found the answers that everyone left – so will someone else…
Thanks for the information… My son completed all classes but did not pass the math AIMS (Arizona standard testing) - so could not graduate. Now a year later my son would like to join the military and find they no longer accept GED’s …most online highschool diplomas…and the air force now runs a credit check so things are always changing.
It is true that one can attend most community colleges with or without a GED or High school diploma-- you would just need to complete a placement test…but 15 college credits could be utilized in place of the high school diploma.
There are many employers that do not like the GED unless the person has college credit as well.

Ms Robyn,
Great find…thanks