Going to King Tut exhibit with teenager, what else to do in LA?

Mr. beckwall’s daughter is 15 and lives in Salt Lake City. She is lovely, smart as a whip, a bit shy, and definitely not the beach type. He is taking her to the King Tut exhibit next week, also an evening symphony at Disney Hall. Obviously, the LaBrea Tar Pits are a must, she is very into science and fossils. They won’t have a lot of time to kill, just a few hours here and there between activities. They could definitely go to the beach and walk a bit, but she won’t want to sit and tan (ack, they’ve brainwashed her in Utah, I swear it!). She’s not a shopper, at all. Loves music and animals, pretty much. I think it might help if they have a schedule of things to pick from, since Mr. bw tends to try and wing it a lot without great success. I know that there are millions of things to do, it’s just that he and I are always alone and tend to do “adult” things in LA. Not sure she would dig Hollywood, whereas I find it fascinating. I mentioned a drive over Sunset and back down the coast (they don’t have anything like BelAIr in Utah), but he’s skeptical.

Any ideas - must do’s, things to avoid - with emphasis on a 15 year old’s POV will be greatly appreciated.

La Brea is special and should definitely be seen, but the L.A. Natural History Museum has some pretty good dinosaurs. It’s in the same area as the Museum of Art.

Nat far from La Brea Tar Pits is the Farmer’s Market…great place for lunch and just poking around lookin’ at stuff.

Too bad she is not a shopper as a little further up the street from there is Melrose Avenue with some fun shops.

Might want to see what is playing at the Hollywood Bowl. And I can’t imagine she would be bored walking down Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, even is she isn’t a shopper. Santa Monica Pier is kinda fun for awhile.

Seriously, a 15 year old girl who doesn’t like to shop? Does she live in Stepford, Utah?

The Getty? I saw the Getty when I was more like 17, but I enjoyed it.

Universal Studios was always one of my favorites as a teen in LA.

In the event that you go past Beverly Hills, why not try the Museum of Television and Radio?

What is this “the Getty” of which you speak?

The J. Paul Getty Museum. Off the 405.

Thank you, asterion, for fighting my ignorance.

California Science Museum (along with the Natural History Museum).

Since she’s 15, if she has any shopping tendencis at all, I’d go to Melrose rather than Rodeo.

The LA Zoo may be worth a stop, if she likes zoos. If you’re heading up to Pasadena, I also recommend the Huntington. The art is good, but the gardens are breathtaking. To walk through a forest of bamboo, and a rose garden, and a desert garden all along the same path is great fun. It’s one of my favorite places in LA.

I ditto the Melrose over Rodeo recommendation, if only because the people watching is better.

You didn’t ask, but dinner recommendations near the Disney monstrosity:

For Italian, I like Tesoro. Prices are reasonable for downtown, and the food is good. It’s basically across the street from the Disney Center.

For American, I like Engine Co. No. 28. Like most downtown restaurants, it runs a free shuttle up the hill to the theaters. My recommendations: the vegetarian chili (the firehouse chili is too beefy) and whatever the special is.

For Italian/American (hmmm, I see a theme developing), and pricier than the others, try Cicada. It was in the movie Pretty Woman, but despite that, it’s a great place. It may be my favorite restaurant downtown. For all it’s fancy-ness, the wait staff really is down to earth and works hard to make sure you have a good time.

Two more recommendations: Pinot, which is down the hill and is a regular restaurant; or Pinot Grill, which is in the plaza between the Ahmanson and the Taper. The food is very good and quick, so if they’re running late, this is a great option. If she’s likely to be intimidated by multiple menus and waiters who put your napkin in your lap, then Pinot Grill is the best choice, I think. There’s also a California Pizza Kitchen nearby, but she can get that at home.

The Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena also has a Durga art exhibition on right now-haven’t been myself (although I’m named after that goddess) but some friends went and said it was pretty good.

I’ll second the Huntington and if you can swing it, have the afternoon tea.

I know you said that she doesn’t like shopping, but is that mall shopping or is it an aversion to ALL shopping? Because I’ve been to Chinatown twice now and I think it’s amazing fun. Grab a boba tea and walk around all the mom and pop stores looking at samurai swords, outfits, paintings, jewellry and miscellany. Then go up to the Empress pavilion for some dim sum. My parents came out here to help me move and we had a great time.

You’re thinking of the Page Museum, which is in Hancock Park (along with the art museum). This is a branch of the Natural History Museum which specializes in the Tar-Pit discoveries. The main Natural History Museum is miles away in Exposition Park, near the Coliseum. Very important note: Don’t go when there’s an event at the Coliseum. Unless things have changed–if you’re driving, the museums of Exposition Park are essentially unavailable on game days, due to the lack of parking. At any rate, this museum is one of the best of its type in the countrty; for my money it’s better than the Field in Chicago, which is usually cited as America’s “second” natural history museum. NHMLA’s collection is strong in Ice-Age mammals, thanks to the Tar Pits, and also possesses one of the finest mineral and gem exhibits in the world.