Going to Munich! Help!

Einmon has given you my tips, and more!

I know this is probably politically incorrect, but I found Dachau…how can I say this…underwhelming. Go if you are so inclined, but for me it was too sanitized and looked like a travelling exhibit in a small museum. I had hoped and expected to be deeply moved, but I wasn’t.

I know you said you were staying in a condo…way cool…but in case anybody else is reading this, way back when, I had a good time at Haus International.

The two things that amazed me about Dachau - the huge outdoor sculpture depicting suffering (it’s beyond description), and the fact that the facility is located in the middle of an ordinary suburban neighborhood.

Just to add a vote - we really enjoyed the art museums, particularly the contemporary art.

And one more piece of vocabulary - all those signs that say Einbahn StraBe. That’s Deutsch for One-Way Street (they’re not named after a famous Einbahn, as I initially thought).

As I understand it, you can’t drive or bike in the main town. People use the S & U-Ban.

Sounds like it might be Emmenthal cheese (they also serve it at Oktoberfest) but that usually is cut in squares and not shaved, so this particular cheese might be a local speciality.

That’s not quite true - we have a pedestrian zone in the center where you can’t drive and looking for a parking space in some quarters is hellish but you can go almost anywhere by bike. If you’re so inclined you might want to try the infamous “Mike’s Bike Tours” where you can ride your bike through the city in a large group and annoy the locals :smiley:

Great advice everyone. Just found out the dates will be August 9-17, so the Gäubodenvolksfest sounds like a distinct possibility.

Will I need a power converter, or is a plug adapter good enough?
What are the customs regarding tipping? Isn’t Europe in general much less tip-oriented than here in the States?
If we end up getting a car, is there anything I should be aware of? Generally the same traffic laws as here?
The Euro has replaced the Mark, yes? My stepdad is insisting that Germany still uses the DM, I’m suspecting he might be insane.

I realized that the German class that I took in high school used asking for directions to things in Munich as part of the curriculum. God knows why, but they did. So now, my handy-dandy, “Entschuldigung, wo ist der Glockenspiel bitte? An dem Marienplatz? Danke!” actually might be useful to have remembered this whole time.

Einmon, I’ll let you know what area of town the place is as soon as I know where it is. And thanks for the offer of more info. Well worth buying you a beer, if it works out.

220v - so a plug adaptor won’t do. The exceptions are things with a power adaptor, such as a laptop, which are often capable of dealing with either voltage input. Check the specifications - if it says “110-220/240v” or similar, you’ll be OK.

Yes. It’s also used in Austria, should you decide to go Salzburg or elsewhere.

I don’t know how much a power converter is or what things you plan to plug into it but usually when I travel the only thing that needs plugging in is a hairdryer and you might be better off just purchasing a small one over here (less luggage space! profit!)

Most restaurant servers earn a higher wage than the average American restaurant server. Hence, tipping is not a necessity but a bonus - usually people round the amount up to the next Euro or so: e.g. a bill of 7,50 would be 8 Euro with tip etc. You also do not leave the money at the table but you always pay the waiter; while you’re paying the waiter will say “7,50” and you will say “Make it 8” or give him/her 8 Euros and say “Stimmt so.”

Basically yes, but there’s slight differences to keep your eyes out for, like there’s no “Turn on red”, so a red light always means stop. Also, for the Autobahn, keep in mind that there’s no speed limit, so people can go REALLY FAST and therefore keeping to the right if you are slow is not only a rule but will increase your peace of mind considerably. In the city, streets are much narrower than in the US and thus harder to navigate and most parking spaces are pay-to-park which makes a car less than ideal for city traffic.

You’re very welcome, I’m glad I can help. If I’m in town, I’ll gladly take you up on the offer!