Goldbelly intrigues me. Should it?

And to be clear, the “gold” pineapple is a particular type, lower in acid and whatever that back-of-the-throat-scratchy chemical (bromelain?) is that most pineapples contain. So you get nothing but fragrant sweetness.

Actually, white pineapples are the best. That’s all I ever used to buy, but over the past few years they became less and less available (they were always a bit hard to find) and the gold ones took over. If a regular pineapple is a 4 or 5 out of 10, and a white is a 10, the gold is an 8 or 9.

Apparently the white ones are really finicky and hard/expensive to grow, but the gold ones have been bred to keep the advantages of the white pineapple, but they are easier to grow.

Take Home Maui will ship you two for $60, but six for $90 :grinning:. These guys are far more reasonable for two - $50 :crazy_face:.

I’m gonna say Goldbelly doesn’t come out to bad in that particular comparison.

These prices are crazy. As are most of the services that basically say “We’ll mail you food in a box, but you’re going to pay a pretty penny for it.”

But there is one time this makes sense for us: Christmas and birthdays.

We just got a great box from Zinggeman’s (sp?) Deli in Ann Arbor. A “Reuben Sandwich Kit” with wonderful bread, excellent cheese, russian dressing and cole slaw. And we sent a Sausages and Cheeses Box from a local butcher.

Oh, last winter we got a Soups/Breads/Crackers box… with a ladle! Came when we were hunkered down and it was below zero (ºƒ) out. Comfort food!

In addition to the price, you’d also have to keep an eye out for foods that don’t freeze well, or otherwise handle whatever it is they’re doing to make them shippable.

I’d guess it’s more for folks who grew up in one place, and then moved elsewhere, and miss the foods of their childhood. I can’t see paying that much regularly, but on special occasions, for a shot of nostalgia? Maybe.

Sure, but it’s not for five nights per week. It’s a once or twice per year treat.

It also appears that at least in some cases you get a lot of product for your money - like those 8 pineapples. That is a lot of pineapple, unless they’re really small. And someone upthread mentioned freezing their bagels and having a long-term supply.

They sell two pineapples for $59 or eight for $89 so roughly fifty bucks for the shipping. So providing a lot of food is a way to spread out the fixed cost.

I just browsed their site a little and saw that they offer 30 lbs of provolone for $181 - about $6/lb. I’m going to have to check what I can buy it for locally, but prices in Hawai’i are crazy high all the time, so that might not be a bad deal for me. Yeah, 30lbs is A LOT of cheese, but I have a huge freezer and could also probably split the order among a few people.

I got the impression it was to send gifts to people you wanted to impress

Exactly. That’s what I’ve used it for. Expensive, but the only way to get certain regional specialties shipped across the country.

I’ve been happy with what I’ve had.

I order New York bagels through Goldbelly all the time. They’re basically just a central clearing house for a lot of food providers. I order through them, but the food comes directly from the deli to me. My DIL turned me on to this company and had Indian food sent to us this last Christmas.

There is also Zabar’s from NYC. I send their mini black and white cookies to people for Christmas every year. https://www.zabars.com/

We bought sausages from… Red’s and my husband bought a lot. ( He saw them on tv) They were good and it made him happy. I’m trying to talk him into the Seinfield sandwiches from Mendi’s (Mendi’s Jerry! Soup isnt a meal.)