Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker arrested?

My guess is that he will be like Kaczynski and never say a damn thing. Frustratingly.

Some more info I find interesting:

1. Paul Holes, featured in the McNamara book, on his last day as a detective was outside JJD’s house considering going up to the door and asking for his DNA. This was about 3 weeks before the arrest.

So JJD was on Holes’ short list of suspects at the very least. The “not even on our radar” until 6 days before comment by the arresting people seems odd.

1. They did get a tad carried away with DNA. A match on a rare marker lead them to having an Oregon officer getting a DNA sample from an old dude there without family knowledge or anything. Not the guy. The daughter, once she found out, was kind enough to help with filling in the family tree and that ruled out all in her family.

So not helping with fears about DNA online DBs being abused.

My worst fear: A defense attorney gets the online match tossed due to the cops violating some aspect of the website terms and the whole thing goes south. But what I can see the website didn’t ban such searches and actually warned people that others might be doing non-genealogy searches.

Violating the terms and conditions of a third-party website is not a violation of the 4th, 5th, or 14th amendment rights of a criminal defendant. It’s merely a contractual violation.

The way I look it, DNA is just another form of data. Like any data, it can reveal a lot about who you are. Publicly-available data is publicly-available data - anyone can access it. Privately-held data, whether it’s DNA or your phone’s geolocation, is privately-held data and essentially the private property of whoever captures and manages that data. But law enforcement can access that information with court orders and so forth.

I’m not a lawyer but I don’t necessarily see how using a genealogy organization’s DNA database necessarily violates the civil liberties. If it’s a public database, then anyone can already use it. If it’s a privately-owned commercial database, then law enforcement will need a court order to obtain what is essentially the property of the organization holding the data (i.e. the DNA). Companies are pretty protective of their property, so they may not always just hand it over in response to a call or email, but a lawful request backed up by a court is a lawful request, and they have to comply - it’s no different than the data from your internet provider.

In any case, I’ve got absolutely no problem with how the case was cracked. They used DNA to eliminate someone who was wrongly suspected, and it seems as though they have finally found the right person. I do acknowledge the dangers of abuse, but the best way to prevent abuse isn’t to discourage use of genealogy databases as a resource. We need to make sure we put the right people in positions of power and influence, and to support strong public institutions with active oversight.

Before he became a police officer, this guy served in Vietnam. You know darned well that he was killing and raping people there too.

Uh, a “damage controlman on the cruiser USS Canberra” is not going to have a lot of opportunities for raping and killing people in Vietnam. Some people go way too dramatic with the “crazy Vietnam Veteran” stereotype, the majority of them are either not emotionally damaged in any way, or if they are, they don’t deal with it by hurting people.

Several days ago the “Bonnie” mystery was figured out. JJD yelled out some stuff about “Bonnie” during one rape. Turns out he had been engaged to a woman named “Bonnie” and she broke it off before the attacks began.

Okay … but …

Some “news” sites are posting the current name, pictures, job info, etc. of this Bonnie. That’s not good.

This would fit the pattern of at least some of the better known serial killers and rapists. IIRC, the BTK killer, for instance, killed one or two women reportedly because they rejected his advances and he became infuriated with them. Some killers take vengeance against their subjects more directly; others take out their frustrations on random victims.

But going back to something that was discussed earlier, I wonder if his Vietnam experience flipped some sort of switch within him which made his more sinister thoughts and emotions harder to control. There’s the obvious psychological trauma of being in combat, but he also could have sustained head trauma as the result of shock waves from ordnance.

I believe that he was navy.

Was the guy actually in Vietnam? He was an enlisted man on a ship. I guess it’s conceivable that his head was fucked up from loud blasts of cannons or maybe his ship was even hit with enemy fire, but lots of guys were on ships in the Navy during the Vietnam War and never had any traumatic experiences other than perhaps a case of the crabs.

I thought all of BTK’s victims were strangers.

As for his Vietnam service, I’m not attributing it to any trauma he may have experienced, or not experienced, while he was there. I’m coming from him seeing the Vietnamese as easy targets because of whole war situation.

Updating this thread:

There’s a statute of limitations for rape ? ? ?

Yes and No.

California passed a bill in 2016 to eliminate the previous statute of limitations (generally 10 years) but:

Since these rapes occurred decades ago the previous statute of limitations still apply.

Since there are 50 states there is going to be a wide variety of different policies among the states nationally.

There’s not just a statute of limitations on charging someone with rape, there’s also a limit on how long a victim can take to report the crime in order for the police to do anything. My recollection (IANAL) is that it used to be pretty short, on the order of 2–5 years, but since the molestation scandals that have been rocking the Catholic Church, most states now allow at least 10 years, and many allow up to 20.

He just did.

He was sentenced to life in prison:

Anyone who is following this - don’t be fooled by his appearance as a frail old man - the DA released some footage of him in his cell doing calisthenics and climbing up on his desk to shade a light. He is pretty dexterous for his age.

He spoke a few words before they wheeled him away, indicating he heard all the victim’s statements and was sorry for what he did. He’s only sorry he got caught. Hopefully we wont hear about him until he dies behind prison walls.

Another thread that may interest you: I'll Be Gone in the Dark on HBO - documentary about the Golden State Killer (open spoilers)

And another: Alex Blumberg interviews the detective that lead the investigation. A really interesting 45 min interview as they walk through the path of finding him.