Good free website creator for beta/test mode?

I am looking for a good site to create a basic website as a proof of concept.

I will do a bigger/better version later but for now I want to put up something quickly.

Anyone have ideas? I know wix and wordpress are probably the big 2 now.

What are your coding and design skill levels? If you have little to none, then use Wix or Wordpress. There are plenty of “build a web site quickly” tools out there that allow practically anyone to drag and drop components into pre-configured templates. If you are trying to impress most people, this may suffice since so many don’t realize you didn’t make your cookies from scratch but merely sliced each cookie from the tube and baked it. But anyone with some web savvy will know this is really amateur, especially if you are talking using the site in an honest, professional capability. (That said, there are untold zillions of professional Wordpress sites. However, there is extensive under the hood work involved.)

If you have some coding and design skills (undefined), there are a number of free templates you can use to quickly create a site, add a few links and off you go. The site will not have any database connectivity, but the look/feel of the site is several steps of sophistication better than the cookie-cutter sites described above. Here is an example picked merely at random. You do really need a GoDaddy or Dreamhost (or equivalent) account so you can control your site because you do need to tinker under the hood.

If your coding and design skills (undefined) are pretty good, then go for something like the Bootstrap 3 framework to get you started on the mobile-first route. There are all sorts of free Bootstrap themes you can use. Again, you need a GoDaddy or Dreamhost (or equivalent) account so you can control your site because you do need to tinker under the hood.

Anything beyond this is getting into areas that don’t meet your base criteria.

I’ve been writing code for 25 years, but most of that is database/statistics. I’ve only done a little HTML.

I suggest Door #2.