Goodbye forever, DC area.

Congratulations on your happy relo, but as someone who lived in Baltimore (city) Aug 1997 to Oct 1999, and have been to the Balto-Wash-NoVA area many times since then in every month of the calendar…

Winter? Snow? What?

I remember maybe five total days with snow that stuck on the ground, the most memorable being snow that turned into freezing rain that turned street lamps and trees into crystal-sheathed sculptures.

Well put, well said. To add to the hugely expensive housing prices, apartment rents are through the roof as well.

And, as you said, though there is a metro system, you will still a car to get around. Unlike NYC, which has a much better metro system & where you may be able to make do without a car (and many do).

Good point about the extremely hot summers & very cold, snowy winters as well - the worst of both worlds.

Everyone I know who has moved from the D.C. area has never moved back again, and everyone I known who has moved to the area from out of town hates it & wants to move away.

Fuck D.C./NOVA/and the surrounding areas.

You obviously haven’t been there when the snow was at it’s worst. I grew up in the area & moved when I was in my mid-20’s, and every winter there was a lot of snow & at times ice. I specifically remember getting literally “snowed in” numerous times, in some cases upwards of 3-4 days at a time.

We’ve lived in Silver Spring since 1998 and have raised our kids here. It’s super affordable compared to our previous digs in Brooklyn. However, once I have 20 years in with DC Public Schools, I can retire with a 40K pension. That’s not really enough to.get by on many places, but there’s more. We’re a block and a half from a future Purple Line station. In 7 years, when I.have my 20 years in, the house we paid 150K for in 1999 will be just about paid for. The station should be up and running. I also pay into an annuity that should be up to 300 or 400 K by that time. Ms. P is a massage therapist, women’s can do her thing for a few more years just about anywhere. I wouldn’t be surprised if we were gone by 2025-26.

Wow, a lot of dislike of the DC area, although I can see how the suburbs could be miserable almost anywhere.

I’m visiting as a tourist in two weeks, but also want to get an idea of the city as a place to live. I’ll be doing a job search starting in January. I figure I’d be swapping miserable Chicago winters for miserable summers should I chose to relocate. There’s no way I want to drive so that’s out.

I like the DC area a lot (I live in Arlington, near the Courthouse Metro station). I’ve only occasionally had problems on Metro, and I’ve ridden it every work day since 2008. I do generally start earlier than the morning rush (I get to the station at about 6:30 AM) and leave before the afternoon rush (I leave at about 4), but in 10 years of riding, I’ve probably only had delays more than 20 minutes about a dozen times. And even delays aren’t so bad – I just read more of my Kindle. I don’t find it nearly as stressful as driving… I’ve probably driven in DC limits about once a year at most. My truck was broken into the first week I moved here, but I’ve had no brushes with crime since then.

Some positives about where I live:
*I can walk to about 30 restaurants and bars, many of them really, really good and many inexpensive.
*I can walk to Metro and be in DC in a few minutes.
*I can walk to Georgetown for shopping or hanging out in about 30 minutes.
*While property is very expensive, it’s a very solid market and didn’t go down at the last downturn… we bought a condo in '12 and its value has consistently increased every year.
*For foodies like us, it’s terrific – we can drive to Annandale for some of the best and most authentic Korean food in the country, to Alexandria or Georgetown for some of the best and most authentic Ethiopian food in the country, drive to Falls Church for some of the best Vietnamese in the country (or walk to Pho 75, one of the best Pho places in the country, a 10 minute walk from our condo), and much more.
*Tons of free (and not free) activities every weekend, including a great free zoo and countless free museums.
*Tons of diversity throughout the region.
*We don’t have kids yet, but when we do, they’ll be in one of the best public school systems in the country (Arlington County).

Whenever I drive through the suburbs of Virginia, I ask myself why would anyone live here? I’ve never arrived at a satisfactory answer.

I like the park system of the DC suburbs. Much more area and proximity than other places IME. But yeah, why move from Florida just to pay more for nearly as bad weather?

Yes, and it’s a fair point - but a lot of those 88% not in the city proper DID move from somewhere else, and they DID choose to live outside the city proper, for reasons of schools, finances, commute, or various other reasons. I was one of them.

Hear, hear!

In my case, it was about minimizing my commute, which was 10 minutes one-way living in NOVA and would have been 40-70 from anywhere in DC, and having 3 dogs.

As near as I could determine at the time, it is literally impossible to find an apartment in DC that will allow you to live with 3 dogs. Plus you won’t have a yard then, and would have to be manually letting them out all the time, so having a house with a yard was a big priority for me.

But everyone’s situation is different - it doesn’t seem fair to rag on suburban-livers as unrepresentative of an area when for the metro area’s population, the core-urban folk are only 12% of the population, and a lot of that 88/12 split was by explicit choice (because it seemed like everyone there was a transplant from somewhere else when I lived there).

Oh c’mon dalej42, Chicago hasn’t had a truly miserable winter for almost five years now.

I see someone who’s been down Van Dorn Street and up Jefferson Davis Highway. :smiley:

And University Boulevard, Colesville Road, Sudley Road and …

Well, I hear Hamilton is coming to the Ocala Community Theater sometime in 2032 (maybe the spring? we’ll see)… and there’s a new Buffalo Wild Wings opening in Tampa in a while… and I hear the Daytona Beach library has a book with pictures of Calder sculptures in it.

So it’s pretty much like in terms of culture, Florida has its own version of the Kennedy Center, Inn at Little Washington, and Smithsonian Museums. It’s a wash, I guess.

The weather is hot and swampy, the peoeple are really really annoying. I’ve never been to a city like it; there’s two types of people i run into - well 3 actually - bitter old timers, mostly minorities, who can’t stand the “gentrifiers”, newcomers from this that or the other fancy school who are pedantic to no end and can’t really deal with real world issues, and Bethesda type folks who I wish I could be but I’m just too damn poor despite a significantly higher than average hoiusehold income.

I wish I could join you in leaving this cesspool, but my wife and I have much better jobs here than we would find elsewhere:(

You left out a fourth type: the sad transplant who’s life isn’t turning out the way they hoped and complain about the city.

Most of the Boston-area suburbs are delightful, each with its own town common and not that many strip malls, except to the north along Route 1.

AKA more than half the people in this thread.

Guess you could add a fifth type: the minority of core urbanites that actually liked the place. :slight_smile:

Three words: Old. Town. Alexandria. Expensive, but if you have the cash - TAKE IT! Lots of funky little shops along King Street (you’re legally required to eat at Hard Times Cafe and buy a coffee mug from the gift shop at the Torpedo Factory Art Center). If you’re looking for residential, the Del Ray neighborhood has some nice apartments and houses - look along Mount Vernon Avenue, near Four Mile Run; as well as along Commonwealth Avenue. If you’re looking for exercise, there’s the Potomac Yard Trail and Mount Vernon Trail. Parking is at a premium, so ditch the car at your hotel (or apartment / house, if you move here), hoof it down Mount Vernon Avenue to King Street, then turn left and go exploring. Did I mention Dyke Marsh, Jones Point Park, and the little parks located along the waterfront section on North Union Street? If you need access to Metrorail, there’s Van Dorn Station, Braddock Road, and King Street; all three of these stations will get you straight to DC within about fifteen minutes.

Don’t be discouraged. I am sure that a resident of any metro area in the country could write a screed listing the worst things about it and make it sound awful. You could probably do it about Chicago. But it’s not all bad.

You just missed the blizzard of January 1996 when I was snowed in for 3 days with a wife who was 8 months pregnant. And the storm of 2010 when they let all the federal workers out early and it took me 4 hours to drive 15 miles to get from Bethesda to Tysons at 4:00 PM. And a few other storms. Now, those storms aren’t typical, but they do happen. And a couple of years ago it got down to 0F (don’t laugh, Minnesotans). We do get winter and we do get snow.

This is the sort of commentary and attitude that bugs me about the city - always making vague personal references whenever someone says something people don’t agree with. And the insults are always along the lines of a) someone is stupid or b)they are not successful enough in their career.

I just want to live somewhere where people insult me for being fat and bald, just for a change of pace.