Google docs spreadsheet formula help

So I’m pretty much a rank novice with spreadsheets (although an experienced C programmer). I’m trying to set up a spreadsheet to do scorekeeping for a games night, and I want it to do something I don’t know how to do.

So let’s assume that the teams are listed down the left, one team per row. Maybe there are 10 teams. Then in a particular column, I’ll end up with the scores the teams achieved in a particular game. So column C might have the values “10, 8, 8, 3, 5, 5, 0” in it, meaning team 1 scored 10 points, team 2 scored 8 pointes, etc.

What I’d like to do is set up column D to give “victory points” or “ranking points” for that round, which sort the scores in column C and give each team points based on its ranking… 1 point for every team you’re ahead of, 0.5 points for every team you’re tied with. So in this case, column D should automatically be filled in with “6, 4.5, 4.5, 1, 2.5, 2.5, 0”.
Does anyone know how to do that, or can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

The keyword you need is COUNTIF(). If column A is the team name and column B is the scores, and for sake of example there are seven teams, then this would go in C1:

=COUNTIF($B$1:$B$7,"<"&$B1)+(COUNTIF($B$1:$B$7,"="&$B1)-1)*0.5

Once that’s there, you can copy/paste it from C1 into C2 through C7 to fill out the table. (I’m assuming you know what the dollar signs are doing here, i.e. keeping those row and/or column references from automatically adjusting when you copy/paste. Alter as desired.)

Awesome! Thanks.