Googlemap military fun

Interesting feature to have in a city, it reminds me of home grown fortifications like the barely visible Walls of Derry which are one of the best preserved in Europe and James’ Fort (left) and Charles’ Fort (right) in county Cork. James’ Fort has earthworks forming the star of its plan that you don’t see as well from the ground as you do from the air.

Also impressive and seemingly well kept is Bourtange in the Netherlands.

One of our (South African) naval bases.

(No we’re not a great naval power)

Sevormorsk Naval Base, just outside Murmansk (northern Russia).

I think. It’s possible those are just barges full of grain.

For a similar style you could also look at Naarden in the Netherlands.

For more modern hardware here are some Gripen Fighters at the Såtenäs base in Sweden.

No, VarlosZ, many of them are warships. That was the location I had in mind in post #3.

Boston harbour is great for fortifications. Fort Warren and Fort Independence are beatiful examples of post-vauban angular bastions, the latter being an almost perfect pentagonal layout.

This is a siege catapult. Zooming out from there, the whole parade ground is lined with different types of cannons and guns.

(It’s the Royal Armouries museum at Fort Nelson, Portsmouth. Completely massive collection of cannons and guns. Free entry on most days.

If you take a look, here, you can see several interesting pieces of Naval history. It’s Trophy Park at Norfolk Naval Shipyard, at Portsmouth, VA.

The easiest thing to recognize is the 16"/50 gun taken from a battleship. A little harder to recognize (and I can do it only because of the pointy nature of the shadow it throws towards the upper left corner of the park block in the center of the view selected) are the last visible remains of the USS Virginia CGN 38. Her forward missile launcher.

Not as interesting as some of the other links here due to the low quality, but this is an explosives testing range I used to work at. The north loop is where we did training for first responders (including a 500 pound carbomb, two to three times a week), while the southern loop is the sled track range. In the middle there is a boneyard, and if you zoom out a bit you can see the fire academy and another boneyard where Canyon Roads meet Canyon Drive.

I am trying to share my first placemark:

Fort Brockhurst, Portsmouth
50°48’23.89"N
1° 9’29.77"W

Appears to be a moated fortification with a central gun pit for a large coast-defense gun. A wall surrounds the fort at the edge of the moat. A number of smaller automatic weapons position, possibly WWII antiaircraft posts are along the moat’s edge.

I think that’s one of the Palmerston Forts. The above mentioned Fort Nelson is another. It looks seriously cool. If you look carefully, you’ll see the others arrayed around portsmouth in various states of decay.

Fort Morgan, Alabama - one of the famous forts defending Mobile Bay. “Damn the torpedos! Full speed ahead!”

Check this out: 38°15’55.74"N 105°57’5.43"E

The Chinese have constructed a huge and detailed, 3D mock-up of the Karakorum Range (I believe) complete with snow-capped peaks, valleys and lakes.

I guess such a construct might come in handy should one feel the need to develop a military strategy in defense of the contested area.

A Caspian Sea Monster

Soviet Ekranoplans

The wikipedia article mentions another a little to the east of that one, next to a small squadron of hovercraft, with what may be a dismantled Ekranoplan on the beach to the north of it.

It’s an interesting fort - now a museum and used as a venue for concerts (went to see James Brown there a few years back. The support band was the better part of the concert).

Just noticed it has an identical twin to the south.

ETA: and what appears to be the remains of a similar set of structures again, further to the south.

See post #30.

Seven decommissioned nuclear submarines in Rosyth Naval Dockyard.
I understand four of them were our Polaris Missile carrying nuclear deterrence…

If you drive along the M4 motorway through Berkshire towards London, you see a mysterious exit signposted “Works Unit Only” - but with the sign in red on white, which is the colour scheme used for military signposts.

The “secret junction” actually leads to RAF Welford, a major munitions storage site. (More info here, down the page.)

Google Map here. Note the rectangular silos and the road leading southwards to the motorway.

Yes. I saw it. Do you have any particular reason to suppose I missed it?

I provided a map link, plus a comment specifically on the similarity of three forts (including Brockhurst) in Gosport.