Gore Vidal Has Passed Away at Age 86

A month or two ago one of the cable channels showed his The Best Man showing Henry Fonda running against Cliff Robertson in the 1964 presidential campaign. The story was originally written for 1960 as a comment on Kennedy’s run.

It’s currently on Broadway (until September 9th) and I thought it was really thought-provoking, though a little talky, somewhat like Sorkin. It has some lines that are still appropriate today. The broadway production has some pretty big names: James Earl Jones, John Stamos, Kristen Davis, John Larroquette, Cybill Shepherd.

He had a small speaking role in the movie Gataca.

Fortunately this legendary encounter is preservedby Youtube for posterity.

Cavett writes a terrific blogat the NYTimes where he discussed this episodein detail.

They certainly don’t make talk shows like that today.

He had a cameo as a priest (with a framed photo of George Bush on his wall) in Digby Goes Down, which was directed by his nephew Burr Steers.

I’ve read several of his books and enjoyed them. I did think that whole Timothy McVeigh thing was weird. But RIP, Gore.

Gore and God know how I loathe being self referential, but this is my “Christmas Carol in the style of Gore Vidal” post from some years back.

I just watched Bob Roberts for the first time a couple days ago. Vidal played the Senator defeated by Tim Robbin’s character.

Finally the crypto-nazi and the you-queer can duke it out in the afterlife.

He was actually pretty good in that. Gore did that as a favor to Robbins’then-squeeze Susan Sarandon, probably his closest friend of the significantly-younger-than-himself Hollywood set. Robbins and Sarandon were frequent houseguests of his when he still lived in Ravenna and he was their’s when he was in L.A. (where he owned property but kept it leased until he moved back).

Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward were his closest Hollywood pals. He and Woodward were briefly ‘engaged’ = sorta kinda. I think his explanation was that Paul would not ask her to marry him because he was still marriage shy after his divorce, she got tired of waiting, so Gore asked her and somehow it got in the papers and forced Paul’s hand.

Here’s something about Vidal that won’t get talked about much in his obituaries. In the very early 50s, after he made a splash with his first novel but wasn’t yet making any money, he decided that he could write mysteries for some quick cash. He eventually wrote three, using the pseudonym Edgar Box. They’re pretty good, deliciously bitchy as you might expect, and set in the worlds of politics and the rich, which are well portrayed as you would also expect. They were popular at the time, with several reprint editions, and have been collected under Vidal’s name several times since.

What makes them especially interesting is the way they were written. They all have six chapters, of 10,000 words each. Vidal wrote a chapter a day for six days, rewrote them on Sunday, and sent them off.

How many patrician writers in their early twenties can pull that off?

The word ‘patrician’ brings up an interesting thing about Vidal: he was as closely connected to the American patrician class (old money, big money, politically prominent and monied, etc.) as one can be without being a part of it.

For those who don’t know his genealogy:

His grandfather was Thomas Pryor Gore, the senator from Oklahoma, very conservative with public monies and briefly named in an Indian oil scandal that GV wrote quite a lot about later. Because Senator Gore was blind (the result of two different childhood accidents- one for each eye) his grandson walked him into senate hearings and served as his go-fer, thus exposing him to high level politics at an early age.

His father was Eugene Luther Vidal, a pilot and aviation enthusiast and military man who became superintendent of West Point for a while and then an aviation executive. Vidal Sr. wanted to make airplanes as much a part of the middle class family as automobiles were and to further this he developed a prototype for a personal plane that his son flew, on camera, when he was about 9 years old. (If you’re wondering whether the “private plane in every garage” idea ever took off, I won’t spoil it for you. :wink: ) Vidal Sr. was a close friend and most, including Gore, speculated a lover of Amelia Earhart.

When his parents divorced his mother, Nina Gore, married Hugh D. Auchincloss, an extremely wealthy patrician D.C. insider with family connections to Aaron Burr, whose portrait hung in Auchincloss’s mansion and caused his stepson Gore to develop an early fascination for him. Nina and Hugh had two children, then divorced. (Gore detested his mother, made absolutely no secret of it before or after her death, and this seemed to be an opinion shared by a lot of people- coincidentally, both Vidal and his enemy Capote had alcoholic social climbing mothers named Nina.)

After Nina divorced Auchincloss- and here it gets a little complicated- Auchincloss married the mother of Jackie and Lee Bouvier. He was not, as often reported, the stepbrother of the future Mrs. Kennedy/Mrs. Onassis and Princess Radziwill- was no relation to them at all in fact- but they were stepsisters of Gore’s half siblings, and through his half-siblings (whom he later became completely estranged from) and other common friends from his Auchincloss years he knew them well and continued to when JFK entered the picture, and he often visited the White House. (He later had a major falling out with RFK.)

However, he was basically the odd man out- no family fortune, no real connections of his parents, but was outside looking in. Made for some great stories and even by his own admission Washington D.C. and other stories were largely roman a clefs.

Interesting piece by Dick Cavett: Gore Vidal Hates Being Dead

Two of my favorite Vidal novels were Messiah and Kalki. I remember wanting to discuss them when I finished but I seemed to be the only person who had read them (though in fairness both were written a long time before I read them and this was pre-Internet). Better in many ways, if only to me, than his historical fiction.

The two truest lines in that are “The fact that some feel his greatest work is in his collected essays should be a word to the wise. They’re stunning.”

I can think of many novelists who could touch or exceed him, but I would give three of my testicles and four of my kidneys for Vidal’s ability at essay writing.

The first time Gore Vidal ever made an impression on me I was watching the Tonight Show-- I think Carson was host-- and Vidal was a guest. I’d never seen such an interesting person on that show. He was urbane, smart, and a big ol’ flaming liberal.

I tried reading some of his novels, naturally, and while I enjoy some historical fiction, I can’t say I enjoyed his. Sure, it was amusing when Aaron Burr called George Washington a fat ass, but I don’t remember even if I bothered to finish the book. As an author, he was a really good talk show guest.

If there is anyone on the dope who appears three balls and four kidneys short, it’s you.

A great American and writer and a big influence on me in my youth.
WhileI didn’t always agree with him I always respected his intellect.
Farewell, Gore.