gory clean up

If you’re squeamish, stop reading this- it’s disgusting…

When a messy accident occurs (for example, someone getting “splatered” by a helicopter blade, ground up in machinery. etc,) whose job is it to clean up the mess? The coroner? The janitor? A special clean-up team? Are the parts salvaged and bagged up for funeral services, or do they get the hose?

There are services which can be hired to come in and clean up when there has been blood and gore. They are expensive (charge more than I do! :wink: ), and I understand that the people wear protective clothing, since they are handling bodily parts and fluids.

Not a job I’d want!

-Melin

Phenomenal woman
 Bitch Corporate Lawyer
 That's me

I read an article about one of these enterprising companies. If you can handle the gore, it seems like a great way to make money.

• There are special clean-up services that do exactly that. Sometimes it is a regular clean-up service that has the training and/or permits to do this sort of work: for health reasons human remains are generally incinerated or exposed to alcohol, as in embalming- you aren’t allowed to throw them into any trash can. Of course, if there’s parts of a person laying around, the coroner takes all the big pieces and anything else the police might think relevant, but somebody else does come in and clean the blood off the walls and floor.
        Search for “crime scene cleaners”. - MC

Disclaimer: the following was current in 1985, when I spent a summer working with the AFIP aircraft accident investigation team. It may or may not still be accurate…

For accidents involving aircraft, there are specially trained crews that do this work. For civilian accidents, the agency responsible is the FAA; for military air accidents, the agency is the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP) on the grounds of Walter Reed Army Medical Center in DC. AFIP is the same agency responsible for identifying the remains of the “unknown” VietNam-era fallen soldier.

The reason for this is because each air accident is thoroughly investigated to determine the cause, why some people survived & why others died so that pilot training, weight distribution, seat design, and aircraft design can be improved to decrease fatalities in the future.

Sue from El Paso
members.aol.com/majormd/index.html

Another interesting tidbit: There’s a special detail of civilians in Israel that responds to such accidents, including terrorist bombings. Their function is to gather up every last little bit of the bodies so that they can properly dispose of them according to Jewish law. Apparently, it would be a major problem to leave bits around.
I’m very fuzzy on the details here, so maybe someone can give a more authoritative explanation.
– Greg, Atlanta

There is a film, CURDLED on video about people who do that kind of job…got its name cause blood when it gets dry it turns to curds.

I read an article about a company in Kansas City that does only those types of jobs. His business evolved from doing one or two messy clean ups and then word of mouth from police and emergency workers. In the article, the guy mentioned that many people don’t realize that when the police are done with the crime scene or whatever, that the clean up is the owner’s responsibility! I was suprised to read that…I figured that the authorities had a division that helped with this. I guess it’s one of those things that you get used to after you’ve cleaned a few brains off the wall.

I remember a few years ago when a parachutist’s went off course, his chute failed, and he splatted on a log pile at a mill near the air field. My father, who was always glued to the police scanner, told me there was no body left to pick up so the fire department was called out for a “wash down.”

Actually, the air field was eventually shut down because the pilot who ran it was extremely neglegent and quite a few of the parachutists who jumped there ended up as “wash downs.”

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

There was a couple that had their own murder scene clean up business here in Michigan. Nice quiet couple, all the neighbors said. Then one day he shot her and then killed himself. I guess the work got to him. I wonder who did the clean up.
Happened about 2 or 3 years ago.

“They are expensive (charge more than I do! :)”
—Melin

And who say’s life isn’t fair. :slight_smile:
peace,
mangeorge

Work like you don’t need the money…
Love like you’ve never been hurt…
Dance like nobody’s watching! …Unknown

I used to work in a hospital, paying my way through school. My job was to clean up the operating rooms after an operation. Ususally it was pretty tame, but after something like a total hip replacement… now that was bad. First, there’s lots of blood, usually some bone fragments because of the way they remove the old ball joint, then you get plaster from the cast. All the doctors and nurses walking about, mixes it up into a nice pink paste… by the time I got to it, some of the plaster would be trying to set and I had to scrape it up with a wide blade first, then mop it all down a few times, then finally come back through and disinfect. Sometimes the human body can generate enough blood pressure, combined with just the right size aperature that blood can get on the walls, ceilings, light fixtures, etc.; we had special scrubbers for this… For particularly messy operations, I had special slip-on disposable plastic boots that pulled up over my knees and disposable rubber gloves that went over my elbows. Also I would wear a mask and plastic “gown”. At the end of the clean up, all of this would go into an incinerator.

Incredible, what you can get kids to do for minimum wage…

Take a look at www.1800autopsy.com

I actually run into this guy on my job once in a while.

JoeyB: You remind me of a cashier at Best Buy that I ran into. His previous job was at a hospital, where he cleaned up the rooms after someone died. :stuck_out_tongue: :frowning: The things they can get people to do.

“I had a feeling that in Hell there would be mushrooms.” -The Secret of Monkey Island

GregAtlanta:

Well, as I see it, there are two issues of Jewish law involved here:

1. Burial. A living human being is a holy item, and any holy item that is no longer able to perform its intended function must be buried. Every last little bit included.

2. Leaving the pieces around. Pieces of a dead body are ritually unclean, and Jews who are considered “Cohanim” (descendants of Aaron, who performed services in the Holy Temple when it stood in Jerusalem) are not allowed to come into contact with these. Since it can be assumed that many Cohanim walk the streets of Israel, getting rid of the stuff seems to be prudent.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective