[QUOTE=ivylass]
I sent a link to my son, who wants to get an electronic design degree. Below is his question:
Ask him what he learned on. C++, Basic, Java, Etc. What college did he go to? How does the programming language for the XBox differ from that of the PC? If it does, how do they program the game? Is the game programmed on a PC and then translated into XBox language or is there a specific device used for the programming? Did he always want to work on the XBox, or did he want to work with PC gaming industries such as Bethesda Softworks or Blizzard? Was there a job opening for those who wished to create the storyline of the game, or is that limited to the higher-ups? Please emphasize that I am a senior in high school with minimal programming experience (Barely understand BASIC, and I still cannot get graphics right with BASIC) attempting to get into UCF’s graphic development program.
[/QUOTE]
I’ve taken classes and taught myself programming languages since high school. I started with QBASIC then moved onto BASIC, PASCAL, and C++. Around that time I got into graphics and realized that that was what I was good at, so programming became more of a hobby. I also ended up learning Actionscript for Flash and a handful of scripting languages later on.
I went to Drexel University in Philadelphia where I majored in Digital Media. The focus was web design and 3D graphics (although I took some programming classes too). During my junior year the program started adding gaming classes to the curriculum, and after I took the first class, I fell in love with making games. I’ve programmed games, designed them, created the artwork for them, and even managed a small team (shudder). I chose art as my route into the game industry because that’s where I’m strongest.
Console games are usually created on a PC using a special SDK (Software Development Kit) that is liscensed to the developer from the console manufacturer, and then it is transferred to the console. Modern games are based on game engines, which are like frameworks for graphics, physics, AI, etc. There are many free or cheap game engines available to anyone who wants to try making games. These can be fun and easy to start with because you can get pretty good results pretty easily. I’d recommend checking out Torque and playing around.
Using a game engine the team can then program the game mechanics and behaviors on a much higher level using scripting languages without worrying about things like memory allocation. These scripting languages are usually simpler to learn than C++, but are also very similar in logic and syntax. Some programmers in game development work on the nitty-gritty level and do things like write the game engine, tweak an existing game engine to do specific things, and create proprietary tools for the team to use. Other programmers (or sometimes designers) create the actual game behavior using the scripting language. I personally can handle the latter but not the former.
A note about programming languages: once you’ve become fluent in one and understand the theory behind programming logic, learning new languages becomes almost trivial. It’s just a matter of learning a new language’s key words (“vocabulary”) and syntax (“grammar”).
I didn’t particularly want to work on the Xbox or even consoles. I applied to every game developer I could, and I would have happily worked on Xbox 360 games, PC games, or even handheld games. I’m entry-level so I can’t afford to be too picky.
As far as creating the storyline for a game, as far as I know that’s usually handled by a game designer or a writer. There are entry-level design positions, but I think it’s mostly level design. As you work your way up the designer ladder you start to work on higher-level parts of the game (i.e. game mechanics, overall story, etc.) Also like I said, some companies hire writers specifically to flesh out plot or dialogue.
Like I said in a previous post, once it comes time to market yourself to employers you’ll want to know what kind of position you want (i.e. programmer, artist, or designer). If you end up going to a school that teaches game development specifically as a program, you’ll probably be exposed to almost every discipline involved in game development, and that should help you figure out exactly what aspect you’re interested in.
Hope this helps some. Keep in mind I’m just starting out, so take this info with a grain of salt. Maybe some of the veteran game dev Dopers will swoop in and correct or elaborate. Anyway, best of luck! 