GQ forum should be called "GQ with factual answers"

Or “Comments on Cecil’s Columns” and “Not Comments on Cecil’s Columns”.

:smiley:

Well, I thought it was funny…

For The Record, my vote is:
If we change General Questions that will make nonsense of all the posts saying “you should ask that in GQ”. Not that this should be the main consideration.
I like the GQ abbreviation, and also am a fan of tradition (the name goes back to the AOL boards.) The description already says “Got a factual question…?” and that seems sufficient to me. I vote against changing General Questions to Factual Questions.

Has there been a huge upsurge in rhetorical questions in GQ recently?

How about Gfactual Questions?

It’s a gnarly question that has been gnawing at me like a gnome with teeth of gneiss. I think Achernar’s gnu idea has merit.

How about at least emphasizing the factual questions part of the GQ forum description? That might help some, if a name change is ruled out.

FQ belongs in the Pit.

More moderators have now voted, all against the suggested name change.

However, we have taken Q.E.D.'s statement to heart, and the term “factual questions” should now appear in bold font. That help?

You mean… they somtimes… listen? To us?

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone who actually thinks that “General Questions” is a better descriptor of the forum than “Factual Questions”, or does everyone who supports the former do so out of some form of tradition or other? Or is there a third reason I’m not thinking of?

Yes. Yes there is.

Wasn’t the latter MPSIMS? :smack:

I’ll stick with ‘GQ’ thanks. Some of the questions posed there come close to being metaphysical. Or rather they come close to not having a factual answer but are still worth the question.

Well then, do you have a problem with the forum description? :slight_smile:

Wow. They actually listened to me! I feel all warm and fuzzy now…

Or perhaps the poll wasn’t in IMHO?
:smiley:

kabbes: Oh come on. What is it? :slight_smile:

1. Hi Opal, of course.

[sub]sorry[/sub]

-LC

I thought ‘General Questions’ was for asking about Robert E Lee, Ulysses S Grant or Phillip H Sheridan.

I like ‘Factual questions’ sort of, it’s not like I ever read people using that word ‘factual’… ‘questions’ is fine, but doesn’t jive all that hotly with ‘factual’. ‘interrogative expression’ is better, so I vote for ‘factual interrogative expressions’ , or FIE, for short :slight_smile:

I’m sorry. Did I give the impression that I knew?

I’m asserting existence, not attempting to actually construct an example. Silly.

pan