grammar question

OK, so now I’ve read two reviews of the new movie “Being John Malkovich” where they mention that John Cusack’s character works for a company “located on the 7 1/2th floor of the Mertin-Flemmer Building.”

How can that possibly be right? How would you pronounce that? “seven and a halfth floor”? I could see if you wrote it “7.5 th floor”, pronounced “seven point fifth floor.”

How should one write that sentence?

J’ai assez vécu pour voir que différence engendre haine.
Stendhal

The only thing I could think of in regard to this was:

“Duck Dodgers in the 24th and half Century!!”

Daffy Duck’s speech impediment doesn’t help us to resolve the question, though.

Or maybe, just maybe, he lives on the seventy-one halfs (thirty fifth and a half) floor. You think about that.

The IQ of a group is equal to the IQ of the dumbest member divided by the number of people in the group.

I read it as “seven and a halfth” before I got to your question about it, so I guess that’s the way I’m voting.

It’s an unusual phrase because ordinals tend to be whole numbers. But if “zeroth” is a correct term (and I have seen/heard that a lot) then I can’t see a reason to reject “halfth”.

If man was meant to fly faster than the speed of sound
he would have been born with 50,000 pounds of thrust.

And all this 'cause two putz reviewers couldn’t spell “mezzanine”?

Sigh…maybe there’s something to this Armageddon stuf after all.

JB
Lex Non Favet Delictorum Votis

I’m with Pluto; I also read it as “seven and a halfth” before I got to your question. It’s not that hard to pronounce.

Now, if you’d said he lived on the “21rd” floor, I’d have been in trouble.

I vote for seven and an halve. Don’t ask why.

Damn! How’d that ‘n’ get in there. Now I’ll have to stick with it.

Seventh Floor Mezzanine.

I’m Plutonian also. I read it immediately as ‘seven and a halfth’. You want maybe the fifteen halfths, or fifteen halfseth, floor?

I’ll avoid that problem and put my office on thw 12 1/2th floor, i.e., the one-bitth floor.

Then again, the pieth floor might help me with my circular reasoning. And I keep hearing an ad that has an elevator that goes sideways and diagonally, so there must also be imaginary components to floorths.

Ray (Completely floored – because Flypsyde won’t tell me how to print an infinity sign.)

[understatement]I may be wrong.[/understatement]
“Seventh and a half” sounds more standard to me.

Until I got to Mr. KnowItAll’s post, I thought I’d been the only one to automatically read it as “seventh and a half”.

Whew.

“ChrisCTP-…the sweetheart of the SDMB…” --Diane
Chris’ Homepage: Domestic Bliss

Actually, I should correct myself. I read seven and a halfth, but I instantly said to myself, “That’s doesn’t sound right, shouldn’t it be seventh and a half?”

“ChrisCTP-…the sweetheart of the SDMB…” --Diane
Chris’ Homepage: Domestic Bliss

No, but technically, maybe ‘seven-and-a-halfth’. But consider ‘7 1/8th’. You should technically call that ‘seven-and-one-eigthth’, right? Of course, ‘eighth’ always should’ve been ‘eightth’, in which case you’d end up with ‘eightthth’.

Rayth (Maybe it comes out better in Welsh.)

Geez, how would you pronounce “eightthth”? Any ideas?

I read it as “seven and a halfth”, also, if you’re writing up stats for it.

Your Official Cat Goddess since 10/20/99.

No, it’s a surreal film. It really is “the 7 1/2th floor”.

John W. Kennedy
“Compact is becoming contract; man only earns and pays.”
– Charles Williams

It seems that the consensus is “seven and a halfth”.

But I wish to make it clear that when I become a famous movie reviewer, I will write a review of the movie and phrase it as “seventh floor and a half”. I think “halfth” is an abomination.

J’ai assez vécu pour voir que différence engendre haine.
Stendhal