Gratuties in Mexico.

Do mexicans tip servers in Mexico?
Peace,
mangeorge

My “i” key seems to have taken a little break there. :wink:

m-w doesn’t list a verb form for “tip” or “gratuity”. I guess “gratify” may work.
Does that mean I don’t have to do it anymore?

tip, tipped, tipping

I am not Mexican, nor have I been to Mexico, but googling up propina restaurantes mexicanos, I see a bunch of sites saying that 10 - 15% is common in restaurants, but you don’t tip cabdrivers.

I’m sure tourists do. I would.
I’m wondering if it customary in Mexican culture.

When I click your link, I get “No arguments in request”. Okay, I won’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, tipping is customary. Restaurants 10-15%, I tip taxi drivers if they handle any baggage or if they help in any other way besides just driving.

There it is. I think I clicked over from “gratuity”.
From m-w;

Danke,
mangeorge

This Spanish web site says tips in Mexico start at 15% in restaurants and pubs,a dn that you’d also give tips in gas stations for oil and cleaning your windshield, and personal service in hotels. This web site says it’s 10 to 15%. This one says 10 to 15% and it’s not included on ths bill.

Cool. From the boca de los caballos.
Sorry. Google made me do it. :wink:
I expected it was customary, but had heard no. Next time I’ll argue.

I think you mean siesta.

In my personal experience, the police in Tiajuana take what’s left in your wallet for a not-quite-illegal lane change as a tip.

A mexican freind of mine tried explaining tipping in Mexico was different then in the US. Services have a value. That value is not a percentage of the final cost. A waiter bringing you food at an expensive resturant may be tipped the same as a waiter at a cheap resturant. But more expensive resturants might offer better service like the ability to recomend wines or similar, that person should be tipped more for the extra service.

After spending some time with hypothetical experiances and not being able to memorize things, I asked what would happen if I just tipped 15%. He said more often then not you would be tipping appropriatly and in the cases where I wasn’t I’d be tipping to much. I decided I’d be fine with that.

Last time I was in Tijuana, me and a few fellow sailors got drunk in Chula Vista. The barkeep ran us off at 2, so I said “betcha they don’t do this shit in Tijuana.” I was right.
No cops, but I did buy “midnight” insurance from a teenager. Cool kid, told us where the best “chi chi” bar was. No sister offered, though. I since learned that’s mostly a myth. Anyway, we came around the corner at daylight (about 6 or so), and there he was, all smiles and sitting on the fender of my unharmed '60 chevy. Glad to see us gringos so he could go home and sleep.
Which forum is this, anyway? :wink:
Thanks for the answers.
mangeorge

My wife and family always accuse me of over-tipping in Mexico, and they insist that an appropriate tip is 10%. I’d say that it really depends on the place. If it’s a little fonda or obviously family-run place, I’d lean towards the 10% mark. At nicer places, it progresses (for me) upwards towards the 20% mark, assuming the service is good. It doesn’t take a really high class of restaurant to have truly superb service in Mexico. When in Mexico for work, we’re often a big group of gringos and are notorious for over-tipping. Of course it always leads to superlative service on subsequent visits.

(In the 'States, 20% is about my norm, regardless of the place [or if it’s really cheap, it may be as much as 50% because who wants to leave a $1 tip?]).

My wife and mother-in-law will sometimes tip taxi drivers, especially if he’s just an honest guy that charges the correct, legal rate. For example if that rate’s 35 pesos and he doesn’t charge $50, then he’ll get $5 or so.

Your OP has been answered, but let me another group that gets tips. “Bag boys” in supermarket stores also get tips. Most of the time, supermarket stores don’t pay them or pay them so little in way of wages that most of them live off the tips. So. If you ever go to a supermarket store, after the bag boy finishes, you can either give him or her your spare change from the transaction or two pesos or so. After that occurs, bag boy may ask to carry your groceries to your car. If you accept & s/he follows through with service, you are supposed to pay another tip for services rendered.

On that vein, you’ll often encounter helpers – usually legit, sometimes not – in the parking lot that will pick up carts, help you into a parking space, help you out of a parking space, and assist loading your car. These guys usually get $5 or so, too. Maybe less if you’re Mexican, or maybe more if I’m just a cheapskate ;). In some unpatrolled parking lots and in many public streets, you’ll often get some random guy offering to watch your car for you. It’s usually a good idea to tell him yes, and give him $5 or so when you get back. If it’s some guy wanting to wash your car for $20 to $30, then the taking-care is included. This is sometimes a good way to illegally park because they have arrangements with the local police not to take your plate away while you’re gone. Finally in small, paid parking lots where there’s a guy the manually opens and closes a gates and pretty much has a line of sight to you car, it’s customary to give him a few pesos, too. In such circumstances he often helps you back out anyway.

Remember $ signs are pesos here!

You mention “help you park”, are the spaces tiny, or what?

Usually it’s older gentlemen (50-60’s) in quasi-security guard uniforms that work as park valets. Their job is to help you w/ your car in the parking lot, i.e., stop traffic in the parking lot to help you park right, tell you how close you are to another car as you back up, watch your car when you enter store, etc.