GRE of sporting terms

We’s a gonna be hi falutin and ever ting and play wit words.

While studying for the GRE I was fascinated with all of the words that are synonymous with words in sporting terms. So here is a game where we take some of the not well known words and figure out what the popular sporting term is.

Example:

1. dwelling denture
    answer would be home plate

Your chance:
baseball

1. malodorous rondure

2. purloin (cos(y)(sq(1-tanh[sup]2/sup) + (lim [sub]z->inf/sub[sup]z[/sup]

3. chic-demesne scud assize

football
4) taction subjacent

1. domicile frontier

hockey
6) woebegone echelon

1. chapeau gambit

2. away facets

3. lambaste a quaesitum

never got limits

my guess for this is not own bounds

The limit there is e[sup]z[/sup]. “purloin” is a synonym for “steal”. I’m working on the expression in the y’s, and I’ll post that once I’m done.

Sorry, the limit is e, not e[sup]z[/sup]. As for the quantity involving the y’s, all I can get is that it’s equal to cos(y)/sinh(y); are you sure you typed it in right?

ultrafilter, I am sorry I should have made the portion you have solved:
ln((lim [sub]z->inf/sub[sup]z[/sup]).

Egads, and to think the math portion was my best subject on the test :slight_smile: .
I think we shoud make one of the rules of the game that the sport we are talking about should be listed. Otherwise, this game could really be more fun than we want to have.

are you taking the square root of (1-tanh[sup]2[/sup]y)

Gah I noticed that I used only sq not sqrt, GAH! Teach me to try to type equations in this little window. I know I could type it first in word, but I still have to put in html stuff. Boy leave it to me to ruin a joke. And the chicken crossed the road, but was hit by a car.

so let me try that equation using common excel abreviations

[(cos(y)(sqrt(1-tanh[sup]2/sup)] + [ln(lim[sub]z->inf/sub[sup]z[/sup]]

All right, now I get that it’s cos(y)/cosh(y) + 1, but I still don’t see what that has to do with baseball.

It’s also equal to (2cos(y)exp(y)+exp(2y)+1)/(exp(2y)+1), but that’s less helpful. I will solve this, goshdarnit.

OK, let’s try a few of these…

1. malodorous rondure = foul ball

2. chapeau gambit = hat trick

3. away facets = offsides (btw, I think this ought to be singular)

For the equation:
Taking out my handy dandy calculus book I notice that on the back cover it has
[(cos(y)(sqrt(1-tanh[sup]2/sup)] = 1

and as weirddave has already solved
[ln(lim[sub]z->inf/sub[sup]z[/sup] = ln(e) = 1

Therefore, [(cos(y)(sqrt(1-tanh[sup]2/sup)] + [ln(lim[sub]z->inf/sub[sup]z[/sup] = 2

So the answer to 2) steal second (if you want it could also be “stealing 2” which I have heard just leaving off the term “bases”)

Katisha gets one atta-person for solving three of the sports terms.

[sub]It is “offsides” plural, I looked it up, see http://www.firstbasesports.com/hockey_glossary.html . [/sub]

That can’t be right; I tried a few values and got some answers which are not 1. However, if you take the limit of this quantity as y goes to zero, you do get 1.

Weirddave, you are right, I of course did another typo it should have been [(cosh(y)(sqrt(1-tanh2(y))] = 1

::deb goes to hang her head in shame. Surely this isn’t a record on typos.::

Well, also, I’m not WeirdDave, but who’s counting, right?

If it does say WeirdDave next to this post, something’s very wrong with the board software.

ultrafilter sorry about that. I try to be funny and include a fairly challenging equation and what do I do, totally flub it up multiple times and then call someone the wrong name. I think now is the time to sell my brain since obviously it is hardly used.

So to finish this up, let me supply the answers for those of you who are interested.
baseball

1. answered by Katisha

2. not even going there again. It is answered in the morass of typos up there somewhere.

3. chic-demesne scud assize = infield fly rule

football
4) taction subjacent = touchdown

1. domicile frontier = quarterback

hockey
6) woebegone echelon = **blue line **

1. answered by Katisha

2. answered by Katisha

3. lambaste a quaesitum score a goal

Yea, really. I was amazed that anyone could think I could solve any mathmatical formula. When I add 2 + 2, I get “kat”. :confused: