Great Book deal at Amazon.com

Check out this deal if you like books (who doesn’t??) They are having a promo- any of the selected titles they have listed for a penny each (limit 2). I actually ordered two, and it came to around $4.30 with shipping. Not bad for two hardcover books (I got the Walter Cronkite book and one by Patricia Cornwell)
I thought at first it was some kind of club, but it’s just a really good promo…
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/promotions/penny-promo.html/ref=b_bh_c_p_3/002-3288490-4236254

I hope that link worked…
If not, go to http://www.amazon.com The offer is right on the front page…

Some mornings it just doesn’t seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.
Emo Philips (stolen from matt’s webpage)

Oh, good. Patsy Cornwell REALLY needs the extra promotion.

Anyone read the NEW YORKER article this week about booksellers and collaborative filtering? I hope this catches on, so no one will EVER have to read Grisham, Cornwell, or Clark EVER again…

Uke

What if you’re already a customer ? No deal ? Full price ? Doesn’t say…

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

Gee, Uke- thanks for the insight, and for implying that I have bad taste in authors. Very nice.
If you don’t like it, don’t go to the site. I thought some people would enjoy the offer.
You know, a lot of people could benefit from the idea that if you don’t have something nice to say, shut the hell up. Or take it to the pit.
PS- the Cornwell book is a gift for my obviously retarded sister.
(sarcasm alert)

Cold,
I was already a customer and they let me have the offer…FYI

OK, One more post.
Uke, didn’t mean to come off so pissy. It just really burns me when someone jumps into a thread and just posts something insulting. I think I’m a nice person, and I don’t go around being rude to people for nothing. To me, that’s like being in a group discussion and saying “Hey! I just read the latest Patricia Cornwell book and I loved it” and having someone say “Oh, yeah? She sucks”.
Reminds me of someone who, unasked, gives their opinion of the food you’re about to eat. (ie: I would NEVER eat that!).
That’s my gripe. Not bad enough for the pit, but wanted to get it off my chest.
I normally find your posts entertaining and enlighening, so I’m probobly being overly sensitive. Chalk it up to being shushed at Barnes and Noble yesterday :slight_smile:

Great offer! My order was 4.92 Thanx for the info. Mmmmm…reading.

“Imagination is more important that knowledge.”

Albert Einstein

Great offer! My order was 4.92 Thanx for the info. Mmmmm…reading.

“Imagination is more important that knowledge.”

Albert Einstein

Zette,

Damn. I was all set to apologize, and then you re-posted. Well, please let me do it anyhow.

My post did look snotty and snobbish, and I’m sorry. I really didn’t mean to knock your taste; I’m certainly in no position to do such a thing. If you like, I’ll e-mail you a list of the last couple dozen books I ordered from Amazon, and you can have a hearty laugh at my expense.

My problem is the following: I’m in the book business, I work with lots of terrific authors who never see a nickel for advertising or promotion or publicity, and every time I see another interview with or special promotion for a mega-selling blockbuster author my immediate response is “Oh, lovely…wouldn’t it be nice if a similarly-talented (or massively MORE talented) writer could get a goddam break like this?”

I haven’t read Patsy since her first book. Is she holding up?

For the record, I don’t think that guy should have shushed you yesterday either.

Uke

Uke,
Point understood, but that’s not how it came off. I don’t know how Patricia Cornwell is doing, but my sister reads all her books and loves her. I understand you’re point, but the idea of the promotion at hand was “bestsellers for a penny”. I would love to see some lesser known authors get great publicity, too.
See, I told you I was probobly being overly sensitive. Sorry again.
Thanks for your vote about the Barnes and Noble guy…what a creep!

Hey! I like Patricia Cornwell! You two stop bickering!

“Finally, consider Kottke’s voice which sounds like geese farts on a muggy day.”
Leo Kottke
6- And 12-String Guitar

Pluto,
Don’t worry- it’s over. By the way, love your new sig :slight_smile:

Zette, I know, I know, I sounded like a horse’s ass. I beat my breast, I grovel at your feet, and the feet of your sister.

pluto, you like Patricia Cornwell? Try Ruth Rendell. And if you like 'er as much as I think you will, tell Zette’s sister.

There. My good deed for the day is done.

(Incidentally, both you guys have the BEST sig lines.)

Uke

Whoops…nothing like a cross-post.

Uke,
Pluto brought it up! Not me!! I beat that dead horse enough- I’m blaming it on the PMS. And, I have read Ruth Rendell and enjoyed her books. Thanks for the sig compliment.

Yeah! This is like trying to break up a family fight – you just get dragged in!

I confess, I confess! I’m a murder mystery reader! It’s the first section I go to in the library! There! I said it. I feel better.

I like Ruth Rendell, too, but I prefer the older English ladies: Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, Dorothy Sayers (favorite), Margery Allingham. Of course they’re not writing anymore! :frowning: Oh! And how could I forget Ellis Peters and Brother Cadfael?!?

Among modern mystery writers I like Martha Grimes best. I like Dick Francis and whats-er-name with the A is for Alibi series. But most new ones get too much “I’m a detective but I’m a real person with troubles of my own” for my taste. I just read one by Ridley Pearson and want to see what else he’s got.

Oh yes. And I like Patricia Cornwell. :slight_smile:

I’m glad to see you two have patched things up. Thanks for listening. I like my new sig too.

“Finally, consider Kottke’s voice which sounds like geese farts on a muggy day.”
Leo Kottke
6- And 12-String Guitar

Pluto,
Actually his grip wasn’t with Patricia Cornwell, it was that he wishes some less famous/vastly better authors got featured in special offers instead of the same old ones (he works in the business). Point taken, disagreement over. If only life were that simple :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
I’m not big on mystery- my sister just lives for it. I’m into biographies lately (which is why I got the Walter Cronkite one) and history. I just ordered 3 different history books, in the hopes of repairing “High School-Social Studies Class- The Lost Years”. I didn’t pay any attention in class and I’m woefully ignorant about history. But I’m learning!!!

(striding back in)

Take THAT, you old nag! [BIFF! BAM!] The glue factory for you!

(would put little smiley face but still isn’t quite sure how to do it)

Uke

Zette, thanks for the sight. I just ordered the PDR for a grand total of $3.96. I love reference books, especially medical stuff. I wanted to order two, but darn it, it wouldn’t let me :frowning:

Oh well.

Shirley,
Did you get 2 books? It’s only 4.92 shipping for two…may as well get another and give it as a gift…