Great Films You Never Intend To See

I tend to avoid movies that I know will have sad endings. I really, really, really want to see Brokeback Mountain. It has just about everything I could love in movie–except, I know how it ends. I know it’s childish. I know I’m missing out on great movies. I’m not entirely happy about it, but why put myself through that?

The OP was about “great movies.” I don’t think you’ll get slammed for saying you hated a bunch of movies that wouldn’t qualify as “great” unless the definition of “great” was changed to be the same as “steaming piles of shit.”

Off-topic:

My husband came into the room and asked me if I wanted to watch a movie he got from Netflix. I asked what he had.

Him: Million Dollar Baby and Brokeback Mountain.
Me: Um. Urk. No, I don’t think I can handle either of those.
Him: Oh, are they depressing?

Some hours later.

Him: My god.
Me: You okay?
Me: That’s bad.

In any case, he thought Brokeback Mountain was brilliant and desperately sad while Million Dollar Baby was just depressing.

For me, anything describable as a “chick flick” goes automatically onto my never see list.

And that goes triple for anything with the words “Bridget Jones” in the title.

Yeah, a Zombie movie with only one Zombie? [Homer]Booooriing![/Homer]

Out of Africa I tried to watch, and fell asleep during it, and Brokeback holds no appeal for me, westerns in general are tedious, unless Mike or Joel and the Bots are involved, or there’s a time-traveling DeLorean involved

No interest in Gone with the Wind or Citizen Kane, saw it in film class in college and that was enough

Not to knock your choices but… those are THE mob movies. If you have never seen any of them, how do you know you don’t like the genre?

That’s it, I’m renting the trilogy tomorrow (should’ve years ago).

The Wizard of Oz I loved the series of books when I was a kid and I have my own images of what things looked like. Also, I don’t like that the silver shoes are made red.

Any version of Pride and Prejudice Again, I have my own images of what everyone looks like. It’s already disturbing that Colin Firth’s image from Bridget Jones’s Diary has crept into my imagination on this!

Titanic
The English Patient
Schindler’s List
The Shining

Of ungreat movies I’ll never see, there are many, beginning with Hostel, Saw, and their ilk.

Sorry; if a book or movie has been out more than 3 years, it’s fair game for the classroom.

Kill Bill, either one of them, I think there are two. I respect Tarantno as a director, but it feels like … as if he was a crazy guy I knew in college who doesn’t seem to get the fact that everyone else has moved on with their lives, and keeps showing up at your house with a lampshade on his head.

I don’t know if it counts as “great,” but people seem to talk it up a lot.

Skip III. If there were such a thing as III, which there isn’t, because that would be wrong.

Wow! Another Star Wars virgin!! I thought I was the only one left!

United 93 is supposed to be very good, but I can’t imagine I’d ever want to sit down and watch it.

I rented it, then chickened out and sent it back without ever seeing it.

About Brokeback Mountain:
I was resistant, too. I never saw it in the theater. But then it came out on DVD, I finally rented it (knowing the end, etc), and was very glad I did.

I doubt that I’d put Knocked Up in the “great” category (which to me, does not necessarily intersect the “buzz” category), but sometimes I do like movies that take me out of my comfort zone. There was some really good dialogue mixed in with all the f-words.
Having said that, I tried and failed to watch Chicago.
I quit after 15 minutes.
Occasionally musicals work for me, but that one did not.

United 93 is quite good, but the last half hour is damn near impossible to watch.

I have no desire to watch United 93, Schindler’s List, Hotel Rwanda. If I want to learn about atrocities I’ll read about them or watch a documentary. I don’t see why I would want to sit through a movie.

No, Goodpasture.

I ain’t having shit to do with any of the Hannibal Lecter series or anything involving Quentin Tarantino (unless he’s got Salma Hayek’s feet in his mouth).

Ditto. I liked Reservoir Dogs when I was in my early 20s, I admired Pulp Fiction when I was in my mid-20s, and I really liked Jackie Brown: great, the guy’s finally grown out of his fixation on early 70’s crap; now we can look forward to some movies for grown-ups. Oh wait, a Kung Fu slasher revenge flick with David Carradine. What joy. Call me back when you’ve grown up.