Greatest parting shot of all time?

Citizen Kane? Though it works better as a full final shot, not just the final image.

Joe

Explains why I couldn’t find it when I was looking for it.

Not the exact shot I’m looking for, there’s a specific still shot that was used in promos, but it’ll do.

Oh, yeah. And Gungrave, too. And maybe a bit of Trigun. Django elements appear in a lot of japanese stuff.

Lost in Translation

If not the greatest final shot, certainly a very good one.

That’s awesome! Thanks for finding that!

The Star Child from 2001:A Space Odyssey

The Third Man, although it loses a lot of its power if you don’t know what led up to it.

The end of “Oh What a Lovely War” that shows a British soldier with his jacket off relaxing on a piece of grass,the camera then shows that he is actually in his grave and the shot pulls back to show thousand upon thousand of similar graves as far as the eye can see.

My ex missus who was totally not interested in anything to do with war was moved to comment “What a terrible waste”.

Electra Glide in Blue This may not be the greatest parting shot of all time but in my mind its up there. The film doesn’t live up to the parting shot, however. It’s a Robert Blake film for heaven’s sake so it has quite a bit of overacting. In addition, I felt its director sort of let everthing run a bit wild, but that parting shot…wow.

I also enjoyed the parting shot in Dr. Strangelove.

And for elegant simplicity as has been mentioned before, Casablanca.

Definitely in the running, a great movie and a great final scene.

Last scene of Nights Of Cabiria where she goes from suicidal to hopeful in two minutes and right before it fades out she looks directly at the camera and nods her head and gives a little smile like she’s telling us, the audience, that she’s going to be ok.

What makes you nominate that one?

Also a good one, hadn’t thought of it for a while.

Hmm. Not a movie or TV show, but I thought that the parting shot in the graphic novel series Transmetropolitan was aces.

Here’s the spoileriffic Wikipedia article onTransmetropolitan for those who are wondering what the hell I’m talking about.