Grilled cheese sandwich-what the heck am I doing wrong?

XO white cheddar and Marmite, broiled in a toaster oven. Mmmmmmmmmmmm! :slight_smile:

I’ve been using the ‘lite’ version of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter for my grilled cheese sandwiches, and they turn out fine.

I’m intrigued now. As a Scottish person, I am by nature attracted to artery-clogging tasty foodstuffs :smiley:

Very much so!

To me (native Californian now living in the PNW), ‘griddle’ sounds a little old-timey. I actually have two griddles (a cast-iron one, and a Teflon one for camping), but never use them. ‘Grilled’ has to be gleaned from the context. You can grill something on a grate, or grill it on a flat-top grill. So as pulykamel says, a grilled cheese sandwich would be cooked on a flat-top grill. Since most people don’t have a flat-top grill, we use a frying pan/skillet.

As has been said, different things. We’re talking about cheese in toast – a sandwich. For cheese on toast… well, I use what we call an English muffin. I toast the halves in the toaster, spread them with margarine and Vegemite, top with cheese, and put them under the broiler.

My dad used to make grilled ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch when he was on the mid-watch. He’d ‘butter’ the bread with margarine and put two slices of American cheese and a sandwich-sized Oscar Meyer ham steak between the dry sides, and then cook them on the grate in the toaster oven.

Because we are assuming knowledge and experience you don’t have, Baron Greenback, you might want to check out a recipe. There are even videos!

Absolutely not. If it contains anything other than bread, cheese, and butter/margarine it is not a grilled cheese sandwich.

Seriously? It’s mostly oil. I use it on grilled cheeses all the time if my butter is cold. You wouldn’t know unless I told you first.

I can totally see it, especially if you make your own mayonnaise like I do. Nothing but eggs, oil, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.

In American kitchens, the broiler (heat from above) is either inside the oven or below it, at floor level. We don’t use the broiler to make simple things like toasted sandwiches.

And unless you have a very fancy kitchen, it’s unlikely that there’s a separate grill (heat from below a gridiron surface rather than a smooth flat surface) – our grills tend to be in the back yard and powered by charcoal or propane gas (in cylinders).

So if we want to grill something indoors we do it on top of the stove on the burners on a frying pan, skillet, or griddle.

The term “grilled cheese sandwich” is a bit of an anomaly in that if we were cooking anything that way, we would probably call it “pan fried” it “pan toasted.”

I get what you are all talking about now. :slight_smile: I’d call it a toastie - I’ve got one of these (well, similar), but I suspect I’m not alone in owning one and rarely using it as it’s a bugger to clean. I’m going to give the recipe Brynda posted a try :slight_smile:

I don’t have anyway to do that, not even an iron/ironing board. :frowning:

I will just sit in the corner and weep quietly as I suffer in silence.
:D;)

You all can thank me later for how to do a proper grilled cheese sandwich.

Ingredients:
[ul]
[li]Scali bread[/li][li]White american cheese[/li][li]Shredded parmesan cheese[/li][li]Real butter[/li][li]Cayenne pepper[/li][li]Good salsa[/li][/ul]

Plop a chunk of butter in a frying pan on 7 and let melt.

Place e slices of cheese on bread, then sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Close with other piece of bread.

Plop into frying pan. Add Parmesan cheese to top of bread and cover pan. Cook about 2 minutes.

Remove cover, flip sandwich. Add more Parmesan cheese to exposed side and recover for about 90 seconds.

Serve on plate with salsa.

Photo

That’s a quesadilla! :eek:

I don’t always jump up from the keyboard to make sparky!'s recipes, but when I do, they’re delicious. :smiley:

(Scali-> French bread, because it’s what I had, and white cheese- > yellow cheese, ditto.)

Both french bread and yellow cheese are worthy substitutes.

Just don’t go trying to use any highfalutin cheese as the filler; good ole american in plastic wrappers is best! And the parmesan on the outside adds a good crunch and some salt.

BYW: that looks delicious.

Honest to god, I really think this may be the case, or they’re just adding more water to keep the price down. BUT, today I used butter (nuked for 10 sec. and brushed on) and got the PERFECT grilled cheese. I honestly don’t care to butter the entire pan because then (GACK) I have to wash the whole pan instead of just wiping out the one grease spot. My bad.

We have always broiled our GCS. Lightly toast one slice of bread, put cheese in, top with buttered bread, put under broiler until bread gets toasted. You have to watch it like a hawk, however, but it makes better sandwiches.

Super fast cheat method: Toast bread, insert cheese, nuke until cheese is melted.

“American cheese” aka cheese food- is what real cheese eats. Colby Longhorn is the best. I’d only use american cheese for a kid.

any cheese slice will do, dense bread, butter…but I need thinly sliced onions for it to be a real success.