Grilled cheese sandwich-what the heck am I doing wrong?

Yeah, I’ve done that before myself, but that’s not quite what I expect or want when I crave a “grilled cheese.”

Just remember to take off those plastic wrappers before hand.:slight_smile:

There’s plastic wrappers?

It’s okay, they’re only one molecule different than cheese. If my random Facebook fearmongering crazies are to be believed, that means they’re exactly the same and so you don’t have to bother unwrapping them anyway.

(Actually, I buy the “Deluxe” unwrapped kind, because I like the slightly firmer texture when I’m eating it cold and they melt just as well.)

When the revolution comes, the second against the wall will be those who use mayo on a grilled cheese sandwich.

If you weren’t told, you really wouldn’t know. It’s like the whole mayo-in-cake trick that way.

What is it with people who think their mission in life is to try to trick people into eating things they don’t like?

If you’ve been successfully “tricked,” that proves that you didn’t not like it, doesn’t it?

If the trick didn’t work, then it wasn’t a trick, it was just something you didn’t like.

I don’t know and I wouldn’t know.

Seriously, nobody is trying to trick anybody. Talk about spectacularly missing the point.

We’re just saying you probably would like it, since there is almost no difference between a grilled cheese made with mayo and one made with butter.

I did catch the joke, but… Under federal regulations (Wiki footnote text):

So American cheese is real cheese. Only, it’s usually a mixture of cheeses plus an emulsifier. The emulsifier makes it do what it does best, which is to melt without separating.

‘Cheese food’ is what American cheese haters think all American cheese is. Actually, most consumers probably don’t know the difference either. I avoid ‘cheese food’, but processed cheese is perfectly acceptable – indeed, preferred – for some applications. Kraft Deli Deluxe is processed cheese. Kraft Singles are cheese food.

A grilled cheese sandwich should be made from American cheese. It can be from pricier stuff from a deli, or mass-produced processed cheese like Kraft Deli Deluxe. In no case should a grilled cheese sandwich be made with ‘cheese food’. (Velveeta, which is technically ‘cheese spread’ is acceptable though, and preferred by many.) Grilled cheese made with cheddar just doesn’t taste right. (Not that I’d turn one down, but they’re not as good as American cheese ones.)

I’ve never seen a Velveeta that is a cheese spread. Are you thinking of Cheez Whiz? Velveeta is labeled as “Prepared cheese product.” Plus you can get it in “singles” form, just like Kraft singles. There’s nothing spreadable about regular Velveeta unless you melt it.

And it seems weird to say Velveeta is acceptable, while Kraft singles are not, as Velveeta seems farther removed from “cheese” than Kraft singles are.

Anyhow, I like the deli American cheese or the singles on my grilled cheese. For me, the quintessential American comfort food grilled cheese is Wonder-like bread and a slice or two of Kraft singles. My “grown-up” grilled cheese might use a light rye (preferably with caraway) and a nicer deli-style American process cheese (although I like to use Munster from time to time, and I’ve recently become quite fond of Land O Lakes 4-cheese Italian process cheese.)

I dunno, a couple of slices of Oat bread with a slice of pepperjack in the middle is pretty nice.

Speaking of Velveeta, one of the sandwiches from my childhood was an open face Velveeta on sandwich bread, toasted under the broiler until the Velveeta just started to get brown spots on it. That and a bowl of Campbell’s tomato soup (made with milk) was the perfect lunch for a chilly winter day.

Actually, yes they are:

No, I don’t like it. Yes, I’ve tried it, yes there is a difference. And here we have someone who does like it, and can tell the difference, and thinks that it’s better.

Which is it? Is it better, or is there no difference? And if you can’t tell the difference, then again, why do some people think it’s so important for mayo haters to eat mayo that it’s o.k. to try to fool them into eating it?

Don’t boil the cheese! That ruins the consistency. You want the cheese to melt just as the bread browns.

I use medium-high heat, butter, and a nonstick pan. It’s been probably 30 years since I used margarine, but I don’t remember any troubles with that.

Unless it’s hot in your house, keep the butter in a covered butter dish (or in a dish in a cabinet). If I have to pull it out of the microwave, I zap it for about 10 seconds (maybe 5? – it softens very fast). I prefer to spread the butter on the bread to melting it in the pan; seems to work a lot better and more evenly (which doesn’t make sense but it’s what I find.)

Blech!

Great idea!

My sentiments exactly.

Thanks for the info but still, yuck! It’s far too sweet for a good grilled cheese.

The stuff should really be called “processed cheesy food-like substance.”

Best is cheddar or Monterey jack or a blend. If you’re lucky enough to know what it is and live where you can get it, Pinconning is ideal. Velveeta, while great for many purposes, is truly awful in a grilled cheese. Truly awful.

Yum.

Olive oil sounds great too, especially on sourdough that you slice yourself. Of course, any bread should be sliced yourself.

Nobody is trying to trick you. If that is what you’re getting from puly’s comments, than I have to assume you have difficulty reading the English language.

You’re quoting different people. I don’t think there is any discernible difference. Someone disagrees. This seems to come as a shock to you for some reason. I suspect Washoe is slightly overstating his case.

Am I the only one who doesn’t assemble the sandwich before grilling it? I heat a pan, medium/mediium/high with copious amounts of butter in it, place two slices of bread in it and cheese on one of the slices. This allows both sides to cook evenly and the bread to crisp up while the chees slowly melts. I do not like overmelting the cheese. Then when the bread is nice and dark brown and crispy I assemble. Slice it diagonally, dammmit! Personally I just ike some sharp cheddar and sourdough. I also like to add some pepperoni too, but simply cook those in the same pan and then place in the grilled cheese before assembling.

My mistake. I thought it was a ‘cheese product’, but I mis-read the link. It was changed from ‘cheese spread’ (and I agree it’s not very spreadable at room temperature) to ‘cheese product’. I read it backward.

Kraft Singles just taste nasty. I don’t like them on cold sandwiches or grilled sandwiches. Velveeta is not nasty, and good for grilled cheese sandwiches (but never cold sandwiches) for a change or if you’re out of Kraft Deli Deluxe. I haven’t seen Wonder Bread in ages. I don’t think I’ve seen it in stores since I moved up here. (I noticed a Hostess outlet in Bellingham, but never managed to get to it before they went out of business.) My ‘comfort food’ GCS is made with Kraft Deli Deluxe, or other American Cheese (not ‘cheese food’ or ‘cheese product’). My ‘grown up’ comfort food GCS is the same. If I want cheddar, I’ll make a toasted Vegemite muffin.

No. Do not desecrate a good sandwich by slicing it diagonally. The sandwich should ideally be eaten in its pristine state, but if you absolutely must cut it, do so in a manner that preserves the original shape as much as possible.