"Groundhog Day" question

There’s this part in the movie Groundhog Day where Bill Murray goes nuts in the shower because there’s no hot water. He comes out of the shower and goes into the hallway where he encounters the proprietor of the Bed & Breakfast he’s staying at. He questions her about the lack of hot water. She sounds perplexed and a little amused when she says, “oh no, there wouldn’t be today” (rough quote).

Why the hell wouldn’t there be hot water that day and why the hell does she think it’s obvious that there wouldn’t be hot water that day? :confused: :confused:

Mrs. Malienation goes nuts everytime she sees this, which is frequent (this is our “seen it 100 times” movie (I’m aware of the irony, yes :wink: ).

It’s Groundhog Day. In Punxawhatever. There are hordes of people at the B&B, far more than usual, and more importantly, all taking showers early in the morning, at roughly the same time. Since a B&B won’t have an industrial-sized hot water heater like a large hotel might be expected to have, the hot water will run out under extreme demand.

That was what was so funny about it. It was obvious to her that there wouldn’t be hot water and didn’t think that she should have had any reason to make it a point to tell him. The whole thing was totally inexplicable to Murray’s character and to the audience. The matter of fact way that the line was delivered was the funny thing and it gave me one of the biggest laughs of the movie.

Hmmm, not bad, not bad at all…Okay, I’ll round up the missus and see if I can sell it. Meanwhile, anyone else?

[QUOTE=Malienation]
“oh no, there wouldn’t be today”

[QUOTE]
I thought she meant that it was because of the snow storm. You know, “there wouldn’t be any hot water today”, as opposed to yesterday.