Groups where female is not the lead singer?

Throbbing Gristle.

Poison Ivy is great. (And for whatever reason, there aren’t many bands that have female guitarists.)

Well, there’s the Electric Mayhem.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see any mention of Linda McCartney of Wings.

LCD Soundsystem’s Nancy Whang.

The Dream Academy.

Kate St. John was the multi-instrumentalist (mostly horns or woodwinds).

She’s a perfectly capable singer – as her solo work testifies – but that wasn’t her role in that act.

Going all the way back to the early British Invasion, there were the Honeycombs. The Honeycombs - Have I The Right - YouTube

Yes I mean 1 or more women in the group but none sing lead except maybe a song or 2.

Stevie Nicks is certainly a lead singer in Fleetwood mac.

Trivia: Tina Weymouth’s niece was publisher of the Washington post from 2008-2014

yes that is correct

I should mention the B52s had 2 female backup singers who sometimes played instruments.

Wings

Nancy Wilson of Heart sang lead on These Dreams

Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson sang lead on a number of The Supremes / Diana Ross and The Supremes songs, but I challenge most of you to name a song that didn’t feature Diana.

Kora

btw would you expect, say, the bass player to sing? Is it true that the “triple threat” is usually acting, singing, and dancing?

Otis Taylor often toured with his daughter Cassie playing bass.

Bolt Thrower with Jo Bench on bass but not vocals.

Guitarist Orianthi has been a hired-gun guitarist for many groups, including Alice Cooper.

The earliest female bassist in a rock group that I know of is the Applejacks with Megan Davies in the early 60s. Video here.

This thread reminds me of an interview I saw with the Go-Go’s last year when they were finally inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame. Before them, only one female drummer (Moe Tucker) and one female bass player (Tina Weymouth) had previously been inducted.

It felt like in the 90s you couldn’t walk two steps without running into a female bassist in an alternative rock band.