Gryro recipie?

Last time we ground meat here (insanely worth it in terms of taste, expense and quality) we picked up a few legs of lamb.

Two questions, really.

First, what’s the easy way of making a gyro-approximation? As in, on a night when we don’t have a lot of time, we’ll pan-fry a ground meat, season it and make up wraps. Using pitas instead of wraps, what spices would we add to come close?

Second, what’s the slightly more complicated method (and would it be worth it)? As in, would it be better to bake it instead of pan frying?

Mrs. Devil did a good job at making tzatziki, but I’m wondering if it’s possible to buy the same sauce found in carts. Those guys work hard, but I can’t imagine they’re mixing up batches of sauce every morning. Can we get it in a bottle?

I know we can’t mimic that 3AM NYC gyro after a great concert, but maybe we can make something tasty.

The (other) master speaks.

Thanks. Any insight into the easy make-it-in-a-pan method? Again, don’t expect the same quality as a cart or a tea-towel-baked version, but something good and as reminiscence of it as possible.

Gryro? Are you Scooby Doo?

That’s funny. That’s really funny.

I do a slightly different Gyro (or kibbeh). Get some lamb mince, add some ground cumin and coriander, a bit of salt and some chopped mint. Fashion the mix around a skewer or two, bung under the griller (broiler) until browned.

Tsatsiki here is sold in small tubs rather than bottles, but it never lasts long enough to go off!

Holy [del]cow[/del]lamb that was funny. I didn’t get it at first. Spent a minute or so trying to dust off old Scooby Doo memories for the connection but chalked it up to faded brains or something like the movies that came out after my 'Doo years.

Then I saw IvoryTowerDenizen’s post and gave it a second thought. Then it hit me and I actually laughed out loud–literally.

My Big Fat Greek Sandwich (Part 1)
My Big Fat Greek Sandwich (Part 2)

I’ve been sitting here in bed saying gryro to my husband and giggling like a lunatic.

Didn’t even notice the typo in the title until then. So funny.

Sorry, but… “me too!” I giggled for a full minute on that one. And yes, attempted to speak it Scooby-style until my - wait for it - Dane looked at me funny.

If you have a grinder, you probably have a sausage stuffer attachment. I suggest Gyro sausages. I made these using a gyro recipe I found on the internet and they were fantastic. the casing holds in some of the juice that runs out in other methods. If you look at Alton Brown’s recipe, most of the negative feedback is that they were very dry.

Wow rurner, rat rounds rike a rate ridea! Wre could repair ra batch ra rame rite wre grind rand wren reeze rem. Ren renever wre raunt gryros rall wre raff roo roo is rake rem rout ran rerost!

You’re killing me.

Rime rorry!

Maybe he is.

And maybe I’m really Droppa Mapantz.
Mmmmmmmmmmm, gryros.

Glad you liked it.

Dammit, now I want a gyro.

This post makes up for so many annoying posts in this board.

Rats right Rhythmdvl