Gun experts

I want to give my hand gun to my niece who lives in Texas. Her son is here in Florida visiting his grandmother and me but will soon be returning to Texas. I have no experience in transporting guns on airliners but I believe they can be sent in checked bags provided they are not loaded and the airline is notified in advance. Is this true?

Can bullets be transported at the same time under the same conditions?

I am concerned that the gun just might be stolen by our TSA inspectors; if this is a valid concern, what would be a better way to send it?

Thanks for any and all inputs.

You don’t need a “gun expert,” just someone who’s tried to take a firearm on an airplane. Personally I’ve never been willing to risk it, but I’ve never been in your situation. Here’s the relevant TSA link.

“Airlines may have additional requirements for traveling with firearms and ammunition. Travelers should also contact the airline regarding firearm and ammunition carriage policies.”
“Travelers must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
The firearm must be unloaded.
The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
The container must be locked.”
Et cetera.

I don’t see any problems between FL and TX. Yes, check it, not carry on. Inform the ticket person and they will tell you what to do, but check in advance with the airline re: how to package it. Here is their page, basically hard container with a lock. Please make sure that there are no requirements that he is the owner and not just transporting etc. I don’t think they can verify that but just in case… also he must be legally able to possess a pistol (21+ and not a felon at least).

Yes, ammo can be brought, see the page. Same case is okay but see packaging requirements.

Although I don’t trust the TSA per se, why would they steal it? There is little to gain because there is a paper trail, and much to be lost. Also UPS and similar employees often have to pass through a metal detector to leave work. I don’t know about TSA but would not be surprised if they had to as well. If it was stolen, I am sure you’d get a nice payment for it anyway.

If you want to ship it, usually UPS or Fedex will do that (IIRC USPS won’t do either pistols or all guns). But then you’d have to ship to an FFL, which costs money.

I’ve done it. Wasn’t a big deal. Print out the rules before you go.

Thanks for the information. I’ve just learned that my niece will drive here from Texas and will take gun back in her car; she likes road trips almost as much as I do. So I guess the problem is solved.

Again, thanks for the information.

You do realize that transferring a handgun to a resident of another state is illegal under federal law, right? Even if they are in your state at the time. To be within the law you should ship it via contract carrier to an FFL in their state.

As always YMMV.

I didn’t know this. Thanks for the information; I’ll follow this advice.

I’ll admit you’re not likely to get caught., but it is illegal and the penalty might not be pleasant. F the person receiving the handgun can locate a gunstore where they live, you can ship directly to them,the store that is, via FedEx. It would be good to have a copy of their FFL in hand. If the store doesn’t want to do the transfer you can find a list of FFL holders who will on gunbroker.com http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

You can transfer with little strings attached between close family members, which means: parents<>children, grandparent<>grandchild. Everything else is excluded, including nieces, and yes, siblings.

Check if you need a FFL on both ends, I forget how that works. But if you didn’t want to do it by mail you could facilitate it in person.