Gun holsters in cold weather?

Here’s a small question that, no doubt, will be amusing to those of you who live in the Great White North. But as a denizen of the South, where we think of 40 degrees as a cold weather crisis, I’m wondering:
How do cops wear their guns for easy access while also wearing a big winter coat? I mean the type of big, warm coat you’d have to wear in extremely cold weather. (Not just kinda cold weather.) Seems a shortie jacket wouldn’t be warm enough, but a long and probably bulky coat would prohibit making a fast draw on the bad guy. There’s probably a simple answer, so who’s going to enlighten me?
– Greg, Atlanta

From observation, the cops I’ve seen here in Michigan, wear short coats with their holsters on their waist. I don’t recall seeing an officer ever in a long winter coat, but I have seen them in long rain gear. It’s not often you see a beat cop any more, they are usually in the patrol car keeping warm.

Didn’t I see those cops in “Fargo” wearing long coats? Seems the short jackets just wouldn’t be enough if you have to stand outside for a while when it’s 20 below.
I keep imagining a cop and a bad guy both bundled up and fumbling to get past their bulky coats faster than the other one.
Hey, maybe there’s a market for a new coat design with one hip cutout for the holster.
– Greg, Atlanta

Having lived in Connecticut and Washington, DC, I don’t recall ever seeing a cop wearing a long coat. In winter the cops I have seen wear a coat that is waist length and has vertical slits about four inches long on both hips. The front and back of the coat drapes below one’s belt, but the butt of the pistol and the handle of one’s baton is readily accessable.

Greg-
IIRC I remember a couple of officers wearing jackets that were a bit longer. (an inch or two below the waist) Bascially they had a notch out around the gun so the gun sticks through the notch so basically the gun was outside of the jacket.

Greg-
IIRC I remember a couple of officers wearing jackets that were a bit longer. (an inch or two below the waist) Bascially they had a notch out around the gun so the gun sticks through the notch so basically the gun was outside of the jacket.

Most of them around here know what a good pair of long underwear will do for ya’.

The cops I know never ever stand outdoors for very long. Here in Chicago the regulation cold weather cop coat is a heavy bomber-type jacket. (Worn with those goofy earflap hats).

Those goofy ear flap hats may look silly, but they are damn warm. One cannot be fashionable and warm, IMHO.

checking in from the Great White North, I think Frankie has it right. The Mounties don’t wear their big full length buffalo coats anymore (but they do wear fur hats in the winter). The slit in the jacket, above the hip, lets them reach for their gun if needed. Most of the time they do their patrols by car, not on foot, so a waist-length winter jacket is sufficient.

Another view from the great white north…
Cops in my town do wear long coats, with a zipper on the side where the side arm is. Unzip this and the coat is away from the weapon allowing easy access to it.

Unforgiven