Guns and Airplanes in Alaska

This is a two part question.

1st, is it a law that you have to have a loaded handgun in your plane if you fly in Alaska? I heard this from a pilot and am wondering if it is true. He said that it is basically a safety precaution. If you get stuck in the Alaskan wilderness (due to weather or aircarft problems), you need a gun to protect yourself from animals and/or to hunt if you are stuck there for a long period of time.

This guy I talked to spends his summers in Alaska and his winters in WI. Here’s the second part of the question. I wish I would’ve thought to ask him.

It is my understanding that handguns are prohibited in Canada. So, if you have to have a handgun in Alaska and you can’t have a handgun in Canada, how do you make the trip up there?

[QUOTE=brewha]
It is my understanding that handguns are prohibited in Canada. So, if you have to have a handgun in Alaska and you can’t have a handgun in Canada, how do you make the trip up there?
[/QUOTE]

If flying there from the USA you simply put it in your CHECKED baggage and declare it when checking in for your flight. I don’t know what happens if you have to make a connecting flight in Canada.

I’m not sure what happens if driving there. I wouldn’t take a handgun through Canada (I wouldn’t drive to Alaska either, though!)

I’ve driven the Alaska Highway a couple of times. It’s not so bad, nowadays the whole thing is paved, although you’re pretty much guaranteed to run into extensive road construction/repair a couple of times.

But, I’ve never tried to bring a gun along. I do remember my Dad bringing along a rifle during one trip as a kid…but that was 30 years ago.

[QUOTE=brewha]
This is a two part question.

1st, is it a law that you have to have a loaded handgun in your plane if you fly in Alaska?
[/quote]
No, you were never required to specifically have a handgun. The statute used to read:

It has been changed now so that a firearm is no longer required.

That was the reason, yes.

The easiest way is to not take a handgun. A rifle or (preferably) a shotgun would make a much better weapon.

[QUOTE=Fugaway]
The easiest way is to not take a handgun. A rifle or (preferably) a shotgun would make a much better weapon.
[/QUOTE]

True, but I’m not certain that he’d get away with carrying a rifle around in the bigger cities, even with Alaskas libertarian open carry laws.

A handgun can be concealed in Alaska with no permit needed.

But we’re talking about driving to Alaska with a firearm. You certainly can drive around with a rifle in your vehicle in Alaska.

I guess I should have been more specific about the transportation. He flys his private plane to Alaska in the summer.

He said that he carries a handgun with him because a rifle or shotgun takes up too much room and is not as easy to secure for flight.

So, since it is no longer required, I guess it’s not really an issue. Thanks for the responses.

[QUOTE=brewha]
So, since it is no longer required
[/QUOTE]

Take one anyway. Better to have it and not need it that need it and not have it

When I flew a small plane to Alaska, a firearm was among the things you were required to carry while in Canadian airspace. Since handguns were not permitted, the choice was between a rifle and a shotgun. We took a Mini-14. We were actually ramp-checked once (at Watson Lake) - we passed with flying colors.

For flying over Canada, the rules are a little vague:

Specific recommended-equipment lists follow, but there is no mention of firearms.

[QUOTE=Lemur866]
But we’re talking about driving to Alaska with a firearm. You certainly can drive around with a rifle in your vehicle in Alaska.
[/QUOTE]

Many years ago, you could take them across, but they had to be sealed. More recently (scroll about 3/4 of the way down), you can still take a non-prohibited rifle or shotgun across, but you have to fill out a registration form and pay a $50 fee.